post replypost new topic
I Need Information On Robotussin

Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:45 PM
Ok I know this may sound silly but alot of you know I have problems with my oldest,it seem her & her friends are now "into"doing robotussin...like 10 pills at a time?She says it makes her feel ...I guess to put it simply speeded.
Has anyone hear of kids abusing this stuff or any information about that I can learn?
Sorry to even bring this on here but I really didnt know where to turn & if shes doing this I really want to know the risk & WTH shes doing to herself..Thanks...molly

Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:52 PM
I've heard about it. It's been going on since I was in middle school. With the syrup it's called "Robo-trippin." I've not heard of anyone doing it with the pills. However, in either form IT IS DANGEROUS!! I'm not trying to scare but just as recently as the week before last Dr.Phil had a whole episode on it.
If you go to the website and go under archives I'm sure you'll find it.

Love Meghan

Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:54 PM
CBN.com – (CBN News) - A new kind of drug abuse is on the rise among teens -- kids are getting high on cough medicines.

As many as one out of 11 have tried it, and it is harder for parents to detect.

It is called "doing skittles" or "robo-tripping," but no matter what you name it, the effects are the same.

"One of the things we've learned,” said Steve Pasierb, president of Partnership for a Drug-Free America, “is that what was really a fringe behavior -- drinking cough medicine to get that buzz -- has kind of gone mainstream, if you will, largely aided by the Internet."

An ingredient in the medicines called dextromethorphan, or "dxm," brings on hallucinations, and teens are going online to find out how to mix the medicines, so they will get the biggest high.

Carl Henon and his friends regularly drank "Robitussin," then one day Henon took too much, and it killed him. His mother found his body.

Mom Misty Henon remarked, "I was devastated. I was angry because I felt that I had so - I was so closely involved in his life, and I was looking for signs of drug abuse, and I didn't see them."

James Maiz also got hooked. He drank about five bottles a day, and says with more than 100 over-the-counter medicines available, it was pretty easy to support his habit.

"I could walk into the corner store,” Maiz said, “the corner quickie mart of whatever, and buy four bottles of Nyquil. Who's gonna say anything to me?"

But there are warning signs. Law enforcement officials advise parents to watch for slurred speech and dilated pupils.

And take note of empty bottles, especially when it is not cold or flu season.

Carl's mother noticed the empty bottles but had no idea they were related to a drug abuse problem.

"I feel that other parents need to know what to look for, that it is an issue," Henon stated.

An issue that she hopes they will take seriously, before it is too late.

MJ,

Hope this helps...

Hugs,

Jan

--------------------

Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow.

Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:56 PM
I just email the episode to you. It's called "Generation RX."
I hope that helps

Love Meghan

Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:56 PM
Thanks Meghan Im already scared...this child reminds me so much of myself when I was 18.Ya know the type where NOTHING can hurt me etc...I just want to educate myself as much as I can.Shes telling me she takes 10pills at a time so yes Im already worried...

Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:58 PM
Molly,
I posted these over on the F&F board, really scarey stuff.
Robo-Trippin
Pharm Parties

--------------------

Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:59 PM
hi mj, i have done it before, 1 time about 15 years ago. i did it with a girl friend and we split a bottle-liquid form and yeah it makes you kinda trip. i got really messed up rubbed the skin off of my big toe cause i thought it was dirt. so that is how f'ed up you get.

Posted: October 5, 2006, 4:02 PM
And so you should be.....She should be too!! Maybe you can get her to read the story about it. Kids have and are dying from this s***!! I remember in high school by brothers best friend got into it and man was he a mess. Thank god, although he turned out to be not such a good friend to my brother, he got over it without killing himself but, it is a bad,bad thing to have to deal with.
For her sake and yours I hope she sees just how dangerous this stuff is.

Love ya

Posted: October 5, 2006, 4:05 PM

molly,

I am scared for both of you!!
Yes, it is becoming common and is VERY dangerous!!
Google it and read some recent reports ... terrifying!!!
Even though she may not listen cause of the "It can't happen to me" thinking, I would print out a bunch of info on it and ask her to read it and then discuss it together. But SHE is the one in control of herself, so I hope you don't stress about it too much ... though i know I would if it were my daughter ....
I am an admitted codie ....

Another thing that really worries ME .... If she says 10 pills at a time, how many is she REALLY taking???
I doubt that I was alone in always minimizing the amounts when I was using .... never was honest about it when active ....

My thoughts and prayers are with you sweetie!!!

<<<<<HUGS>>>>>

Swizzle

Posted: October 5, 2006, 4:07 PM
Now for me this is hard because 3 days ago her & I were together & talking(as long as we dont live together we get along perfect)& I was kinda proud of her because I guess a couple of her friends desided to drop acid & she said no.I thought that was a very positive thing & told her so.
Now that shes 18 I know legally I cant do much but I figure the more I know the more information I can give her & PRAY she makes better choices.
Thank you all for this information,Im surfing as I type this just trying to find out as much as I can.
And thank you for the websites Ill be sure to look at them

Swizzle thankfully she feels she can tell me the truth about stuff like this.A mth or so ago one of her"so called"friends gave her morphine which he took from his mom.So when she says 10 I believe that,but as all of us on here know we search for THAT bigger high,
All I can do is what Im doing,now that shes 18 she can legally buy this stuff anywhere....

This post has been edited by mollyjean on October 5, 2006, 4:10 PM

Posted: October 5, 2006, 4:25 PM
Meghan sweety I didnt get that if you can when you have some time could you please remail it???
Hope your little one is feeling better...molly

Posted: October 5, 2006, 4:32 PM
I've tried sending it under both of my emails and it keeps kicking it back to me but it's "Dr.Phil.com" go under show archives and select September 2006 and then click on "Generation RX"

Meghan

Posted: October 5, 2006, 4:48 PM
Brina-

I have heard of this as well.........It is actually fairly common I think with high school kids around here........

I wish I had more info for you........

I also saw the Dr. Phil show...........Look in the archives on his site..........I am going to as well.

Love and Hugs.

--------------------
Peace & Love,

Javagirl

Formerly Posted as:
Jody1976
Member since November 2005

You can't win if your not at the table.

Posted: October 5, 2006, 5:17 PM
Molly,

becareful, im 26 and there is a wealth of information on the web on how to "trip" on DXM. As you may have read.. the consiquences increase when DXM is in a mixture of another flu treatment medices. I experimented with it and found it much more uncontrolable then any acid trip. If you take to much, forget any halluciantions, your body will be on FIRE and i mean Fire, you can walk, less see straight, you;ll be scratching everywhere, and prob pass out. And thats only if you take straight DXM, usually found in "extra strength couf medicine", Like i said before, it get way worse when there are other medicines involved.

not a good time at all

Emanuel

Posted: October 6, 2006, 5:14 PM
Hi all I just wanted to thank you for your replies.
I did talk with her some today & I also sent some info to her email.She seem to be listening but you never can tell.Mostly I let her know that I DID NOT want to bury either of my girls.I guess Anne talked with her too,so now all I guess I can do is pray she starts making better choices.
I cant help but feel somewhat guilty,.only because of the things Ive done.Its hard watching the "bad years"of my life repeat itself.
Anyways thank you all just for taking the time to jot down what you knew...Love molly
post replypost new topic