next >  post replypost new topic
Anyone Been On Celexa????

Posted: January 18, 2006, 8:07 PM
Hey there

Im wondering if anyone has had expereince with this anti-depressant...my Dr was pretty insistent...in fact surprisingly so, that i give it a try..he said it works faster than most...and in a different way than mannerix ( which i tried more than a year or so ago, to help with pain- depression of having pain etc..but did nothing for me so i just stopped taking it)

I told him about my inability to complete projects, keep appointments, open mail etc....shared just how bad my procrastination was getting about everything and my fear of perhaps having brain damage or paws...

He guaranteed me that I didnt have brain damage, but may be depressed...i asked if there wasnt a blood tst or something to be sure and he said no it was a clinical test, then listed things that pretty well describe my miserable exsistence..

I thought that I would be so happy to just not be "chained to my pills" and that should be enough....but as grateful as I am, im pretty depressed, and of course part of that is due to the fact i have had bone pain return at night now and again, and due to my abusing my narcs, have ruled out any possibility for ridding my bone pain ever again...thats pretty depressing in itself i suppose,.

If anyone has felt this Celexa has really helped them, i would really be grateful to hear your experience...i have been given 21 pills of 20mg..and directed to take half a pill every morning for 14 days, then move up to one pill a morning if I dont feel better...

hugs to all

Ali

This post has been edited by alicap on January 18, 2006, 8:07 PM

--------------------
GOD LOVES YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE.....................
BUT HE LOVES YOU TOO MUCH TO HAVE YOU STAY THAT WAY....

The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment

There is no pleasure in life equal to that of the conquest of a vicious habit.

user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 8:11 PM
ali,

check your mail. I gotta leave here in a minute

stac

--------------------
As of 5/11/08 I am a Non-Smoker!!!

Censorship is a Cancer

We live in a world where good men are murdered and mediocre hacks thrive. ~Bill Hicks

"In the end we are all separate; our stories, no matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge. We are drawn to each other because of our similarites, but it is our differences we must learn to respect."

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posted: January 18, 2006, 8:44 PM
Ali, I took Celexa for about 6 months, it didn't help my depression that much, but at the time I was still using. I think the newer drug, Lexapro is a form of Celexa, but according to my doctor it is better. But that's just what I have been told. I didn't do well on the Lexapro either, but again, I was still shooting cocaine, so I wouldn't expect it to work that well.

--------------------
Somedays it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Posted: January 18, 2006, 8:53 PM
Bumps..lololol

thanks for your candor..lolol

im getting a bit nauseous from them and a blinding hedache...

jeez..he said to 'ride through any side effects at first cus theyll go away"

will ask about the lexapro, if this doesnt work...

wish there was a way to test the serotonin levels in the brain..

hugs

ali

--------------------

The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment

user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 8:54 PM
Hey Ali, I took Lexapro forever and it sucked to me...LOL...still have a whole bottle here at the house...I have never taken the Celexa so I can't help ya with that one...Good Luck...I'm on Cymbalta now and have been for many months now and I guess it works pretty good, I'm not in the nut house, YET.....LOL

--------------------
Love,
Pam

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand, and melting like a snowflake.

Posted: January 18, 2006, 8:57 PM
Pam,

I just dont get how one a/d can not work but another one can and vise versa...isnt all anti-depressants just serotonin to replace the loss of serotonin in your brain???

How can there be any difference in which ones work??

Do you get that cus i sure dont..

hugs''

Ali

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 8:58 PM
LMFAO Ali,,,,yeah, I kind of get it...LOL....but it is top secret and if I tell ya then I'll have to kill ya...LMFAO...

--------------------
Love,
Pam

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand, and melting like a snowflake.

Posted: January 18, 2006, 9:09 PM
Yes indeed Ali.. I was your dose for a while with no results. My doc insisted this was the best medication for me. Now I take two of those pills every night before bed. I feel soo much better. It took upping the dose but now I"m happy when I wake up and dont want to kill everyone in my path. It has worked so well in fact, my husband AND my kids all ask me every night if I've taken my meds. They didnt like me as much before they started to work..

Give it some time. It is a good drug for some of us... Dont however be afraid to demand something else if it just doesnt work. I didnt realize HOW depressed and awful I had been feeling until I started feeling better.

Hugs to you swwwhheeetttt heart

Kelly

--------------------
JUST FOR TODAY

Posted: January 18, 2006, 9:10 PM
I haven't been on Celexa myself; however, the doc put my "hubby" on it due to his taking so many T4's to try to hide the pain of his financial situation (not just his back problems like he tries to say it is) at the moment.........of course it wouldn't work for him because he's addicted to the T4's!! Here I am cutting back on percocet and I HATE T4's.........I took 2 of them once when I was out of my own pills and I had a MAJOR belly ache and cramps for over 24 hours (waaaaay too much codeine).

HOWEVER, my sister swears by Celexa !! She has had depression problems for many, many years (along with borderline Schizophrenia). She says she has never felt better since taking it (along with her meds for the other problem). She says it gives her a lot more energy and it only took about a week for her to notice the difference when she started on it. I also have heard from about 5 other people I know that also say it was a wonder drug as far as depression goes (these were people who did not have addiction problems). You never know...........it may be just the ticket for you. I think all people have different "chemical" imbalances with depression, but I would definately give it a try - from what I have heard. After I am completely off my cutback........I am considering Celexa myself. God Bless and Good Luck!

Judy

Posted: January 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
Kelly and Judy,

thankyou for sharing your knowledge with me...

It gives me hope...part of me just thinks I should give myself a good swift kick in the behind and snap the hell out of it, but it just doesnt seem to work, and it feels like I have been battling this for quite some time, and it has definately gotten worse and worse and worse...not going out, not wanting to open any mail ( hiding the mail) not caring what i look like, bouts of anger, making plans with "To Do:" lists, just to end up hiding the list on myself....relatives are starting to hate me because I just do not want to go anywhere or do anything..

I have a fabulous husband and a nice family and a nice home not serious financial burdens so it makes me ashamed to feel this way and act so pathetic......

Thanks for listening to me and for giving me hope that maybe this is medical and not just weak moral fiber or something..

hugs to all,

Ali.

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 11:05 PM
Ali, I am taking Celexa now, I started taking it about 10 months ago and it works great for me... I was and am currently going thru menopause and I was really bad depressed. My doctor started me on Celexa 20 mg a day, and then after about 3 weeks increased it to 40mg.. It really has helped me so much and it did start working really fast in fact I started feeling better after about a week.. I had a few side effects at first nothing major a small headache but not enough to make me want to start taking it.. Most anti depressants when you first start taking them have some side effects that go away after a few weeks.. when you body gets use to them, so to speak.. I also took lexapro for awhile a few years ago and it was pretty good also but stopped taking it because it was so expensive, had a few side effects from it but it took about a month before it got in my system and started working and the side effect went away... Celexa has a generic so they are not expensive at all, and like your Dr. told you they start working alot quicker.. I would not take anything else now.. Paula

--------------------
Love to all.... Paula..

I am the former poster, Trying4Me, I have been a member here since January 2005..

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hey Ali,

I was on celexa the first time I went through rehab. I was on it for 6 months and it worked well for me. However, I also experienced the headaches and nausea you mentioned. It got better after about a week and after 2 weeks I had no side affects. Of course, then I relapsed back to pain pills and went off the celexa. Now I am on cymbalta which I prefer because it supposedly only takes 2-3 days to get into your system. I haven't seen to many of your posts lately. I hope I don't offend you by asking this, but last time I remember you posting about yourself, which was before Christmas, you were still weaning off your pain pills. Are you now completely off of them? Forgive me for asking, but I was in the hospital for 11 days and kind of fell out of the loop. Hope you doing good. You are so helpful to so many people here.

Shelly

Posted: January 18, 2006, 11:42 PM
Dear Paula,

Thankyou for your post.

i have a blinding headache for the last 4 hours or so....

normally excedrin works like a charm but it hasnt helped one bit

Even my eyeballs hurt ( lights) and my ears hurt (noise)

Im hoping that if this is a side effect...that it doesnt last long, cus im almost nauseous from this headache...killer..

Honey do you take itin the morning?

cus mine says to take it in the morning,

but several others have to take it at night...

i wonder if the pharmacy just went on the time i got the Rx filled?

is it better to take at the same time every day then, and at night?

Thankyou for taking the time to respond to me.

Hugs

Ali

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 11:44 PM
IT WAS AWFUL FOR ME

--------------------
"What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds."

Posted: January 18, 2006, 11:47 PM
12 stepping,

In which way honey?

I read in the pamphlet that a small percent of people get worse on it and can even become suicidal...

Did your depression get worse or did you have bad side effects...this headache is the worst ive ever had......im sitting in the dark right now with mufflers on my ears cus the tv hurts my ears and head and hubby has it low..

Hugs

ali

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 11:56 PM
Ali... The side effects did not last to long, but I was weaned on, it was 10mg for two days then 20 mg, I was starting to feel better within a week, and then a couple of weeks later, I went to 40mg..... I did start having to take it at night I usually take it the same time at night.. I take it right before I eat. Love ya, Paula

--------------------
Love to all.... Paula..

I am the former poster, Trying4Me, I have been a member here since January 2005..

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Posted: January 18, 2006, 11:58 PM
Dear ali

I got so SICK from it---depression was the same `rolllercoaster--

I was not on serequel so not sleeping at all--was manic all messed up

This post has been edited by 12 stepping on January 18, 2006, 11:59 PM

--------------------
"What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds."

Posted: January 19, 2006, 12:05 AM
Dearest Paula,

Im sorry to be a pest honey...but am a bit anxious about taking anything that I need to build up a tolerance too...makes me nervous....

Why do we need to go up slowly on it and does that mean that in time, you become immune to it and the dosage just keeps on going up and up and up?

Or is there a maximum amount that one needs and never more??

One more question...is it dangerous to stop taking????

I was on mannerix before and just stopped with no problems..in fact kept forgettting to take them cause i didnt think they were working, so finally just stopped..

the only other one i tried once was effexor, and after a month decided i didnt feel any different or better so just stopped them, but this time I had electrical shocks going into my brain, and a sort of caterpillar feeling under my forehead going back to my brain...real weird, adn the Dr got a bit upset at me for just stopping those ones like that...

I lied Paula...just ONE MORE question....had you tried other a/ds too and found they didnt work for you before you had success with Celxa.??

i wont bug you with any more questions after this...i promise..lolol'

hugs,

Ali

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: January 19, 2006, 12:05 AM
I took Celexa for about 8 months during 2004. For me I am unsure if it worked at all for me, however I was had quit cocaine just a week before I got on the medication. Perhaps my brain chemistry was so out of whack that it was not possible for the Celexa to fully alleviate my symptoms of depression.

I stopped Celexa primarily because of the side-effects which are listed below.

1.) Horrible headaches.
2.) Sensitivity to light and sounds.
3.) Decreased libido.
4.) Small hair loss.
5.) Lethargy

I also tried Lexapro and it did absolutely nothing for me except leave me miserable. It took me four months to fully get off of Lexapro because of the withdrawal effects. It was far worse than the cocaine use.

Yet, some of these anti-depressants work with some people and others work for other people. All of us react differently and most psychiatrists will admit that the pharmacological science for depression is truly a gamble. It took me six drugs before I was finally put on Wellbutrin, which I am now off of, before I began to feel better.

Keep that in mind.

Posted: January 19, 2006, 12:17 AM
Motodriveby

Now im scared..lol I do appreciate you sharing your opinion however...

Now i think that i will stay on them for the minimal amount of time and if I dont feel a huge HUGE difference wont mess with them...thats scary..

i was wondering...i certainly am having the headache thing going on, and cant imagine feeling any more lethargic then i already do...

You state that coming off lexapro was worse than COCAINE withdrawl???thats terrifying!!!

but what about the "SMALL hair loss"???? is that as opposed to a BIG hairl loss?

crikeys thats all i need, be even more lethargic, unable to have sex, and become bald....good Lord...

12 Stepping,

Sorry you had such a bad experience with them....Im starting to think I should have just stuck with my 5-HTP...i was feeling a bit better on them i think....but i may have just been all excited and happier because i was successfully tapering and that really had me feeling motivated as it felt like such a blessing....and something I had never been able to do before them...I ran out of them ( 5HTP) and havent really thought about the possibility that maybe they were working.....

Im more confused than ever as to try this celexa or not....my Dr sure seemed insistent he wanted me on something...like maybe he takes my depression more seriously than i have been....

Thankyou all for your time and responces,

hugs

Ali

This post has been edited by alicap on January 19, 2006, 12:19 AM

--------------------

user posted image
post replypost new topic