post replypost new topic
Weight Gain With Sobriety

Posted: July 9, 2013, 2:13 AM
Now that I have stopped abusing/taking any rx medication, i feel like i am emotionally eating. I have gained atleast 35 pounds in the last 9 months....and it's making me go crazy... does anyone have any advice on what to do?
I abused prescription medication since I was 23 years old. I have had countless seizures coming off xanax,valium,norcos,ambien... and could not seem to ever stop the urge. In September 2012 I decided I needed to get sober and STAY sober. Now I seem to have exchanged my pill addiction with food.... I was never over 110 lbs, I am only 5"1. Now, since becoming sober, I am 148 lbs...and am so afraid that if I don't go to the doctor...I will be 200 lbs by the time the end of the year comes. Can anybody help me please? Anyone gone through this?

Posted: July 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
I suggest going for counselling to try n work through thr underlying cause as to why you have these addictive behaviours. I have experienced weight gain DURING my codeine use. Opiates tend to make you crave carbs highs in calories. But like you i find myself emotionally eating.

Are you doing any form of exercise n finding ways to distract yourself n keep yourself busy?

Try going to the supermarket when you are full so you don't buy the rubbish n then if you start wanting sugary foods talk yourself out of it.
Watch Programmes like The Biggest Loser for encouragement

Take care,
Evey x

--------------------
eveleivibe@btinternet.com

Ignorance may be bliss but knowledge is power!
post replypost new topic