post replypost new topic
How To Withdraw From Zolpidem

Posted: April 6, 2013, 12:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been a user of zolpiden for almost 10 years, and now I'm trying to quit it. But what is the best way? My doctor stopped the zolpidem immediately and prescribed me up to 200 mg of trazadone, but that didn't help at all, it just made my nose congested. Now I'm trying Hydroxine, and it didn't work the first night, so I fell back to drinking alchohol. I thought tapering a person on the drug from the highest dosage was the best way, but maybe I'm wrong. what do you think?

Posted: May 13, 2013, 9:52 AM
Hello Sleepdeprived,

I was wondering if you were able to get off the Ambien and if you were successful. I have been on it for nearly 5 years and am ready to get off. My doctor prescribed it for me after I moved to CA after going through a horrible divorce, but I stayed on it after I found out that my daughter who lived in another state was using IV drugs and had to have her 2 small children taken away from her and put into foster care, then 2 years ago I had my youngest daughter pass away from methadone overdose, and 1-1/2 years ago I got my 2 grandchildren from foster care, and now their mother, my daughter (a heroin/meth junkie), is in detox unwillingly, screaming to get out to go back to the streets if she doesn't get methadone treatment!

But, no more excuses....I have to get off Ambien! I have been in a fog for the last 5 years. I know I will stay up for 4-5 days without any sleep, maybe longer...not sure how to maintain since I have a 40-hour work week and 2 ADHD children to take care of. I refuse to take antidepressants or another drug in place of it!

Posted: May 21, 2013, 7:56 PM
Hi Cfar,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I wish I could tell you it's been easy to withdraw from zolpidem, but it hasn't. I've been drinking to help me sleep. All of the alternatives have been almost no help at all, with the exception of seroquel. But even now that has little effect. If I could, I would enter into a rehab clinic, but I think that would result in me losing my job or at least reducing my mobility within my career field. So I struggle. I hope eventually it will happen, but I'm not hopefully at least in the short term. I hope it is easier for you.
NG2786

Posted: July 9, 2013, 1:42 AM
Ambien should not be used every night. I am sober almost 9months off all rx meds... I had the hardest time sleeping for years without ambien. My doctor would prescribe me 20 mgs of ambien every night. I had the worst time trying to stop but it is possible. I slept maybe 1 or 2 hours for the first few nights. But after the first week it went away. my body feels so great to be able to sleep naturally. Sleep on medication just doesnt feel the same as natural sleep. If you really want to, try melatonin. It's natural and it works, and its defenitly not addictive.
post replypost new topic