post replypost new topic
Son Relapsed - Robbed Us
Andy

Posted: January 28, 2014, 10:04 PM
I (the dad) am at wits end. My son got out of jail September 2012 . (Drug related (heroine) and robbery stuff)- halfway house for the last year and a half of it. - was in college - honors etc etc. We gave him EVERYTHING when he got out from help with an apartment, a welcome home party, co-signed for a car and helped him on his feet in every other way possible - forgiveness and all of it. He got a job - continued to go to college, etc. all good stuff.

by Feb 2013 he was using again (we found out in late summer) by then (August 2013) he attempted to rob some very valuable and irreplaceable family jewelry. He was confronted and the police were called. We didn't press charges immediately - it all happened so suddenly and so fast. the police suggested rehab since we could not decide - so off he went in a police arranged ambulance and he later that night checked himself into a local shelter at that time and back to rehab program. We did decide to press charges knowing that he had to have consequences for his actions. While awaiting the out come of all of this he is now going back to school and in contact with family and old so-called friends on Facebook. "supposedly" he'll be allowed to finish the program before any jail time could start. dont know if thats true. From the few communications I got he seems to be remorseful but I know addicts can be VERY manipulative.

the dilemma for me and for us is now he is calling us for "his things" back that are in storage since he lost apartment - art supplies he "needs" for school - clothes and such. ALL of the items were paid for by family - not him. do we give them to him? I am getting such pressure from the rest of the family NOT to. Pressure to the point that I am being treated badly by the ones he robbed. I feel that he has hurt the very people who stood by him all these years and the he needs to get those things elsewhere. Not from us. I just don't know what to do it hurts to say no - but I think I have to, what does everyone out there think? has anyone been robbed? Its so hurtful - so personal. Thank you in advance.

Posted: January 28, 2014, 10:44 PM
I understand they were given to him as gifts. They are his then. I know you don't want to "enable" him but I feel most every addict relapses. Your already paying for the storage of his items. You can stop doing that and tell him he needs to find a way to get them or pay for storage. You really enabled him the first time out of treatment by giving him the world. Apartment, car etc.
It is very common for the courts to let the person finish treatment before they sentence him or her. In most cases (especially if it's only a crime of property) they accept the successful treatment of the program as there sentence along with maybe a year of probation, urine monitoring and a fine. Remind the family that is mad at you to understand that is your son. Then remind them he has a disease called addiction. Many people don't understand addiction or believe that it is a disease. Tell them a simple search of the computer and they can learn something.

--------------------
I can quit anytime. I did it a million times.
Andy

Posted: January 28, 2014, 10:54 PM
I appreciate that. I concur with you .. but the robbery - even to my relatively new wife ... was too much to bear .. my moms & grandmothers wedding rings. If we didn't look in the bag - they would have been gone forever. It was so hurtful that my mom still cries to this day.. my brother wants his head on a platter. My wife, my brother - never want him in our homes again Trust is gone. He's my son but he took advantage of my mom. Its HARD for me to not be angry too ya know? I try to look for reasons to "See their point" ... but I wish they would see mine too. He IS my son ... hard to accept this. It never seems to end. in trouble since he was 15. no end in site. thanks again

Posted: January 29, 2014, 12:20 AM
I'm an addict. I concur. Give him his stuff. If he needs it for school or whatever, fine.
If he sells it then that's just more that he's lost to his addiction. Some folks have to hit rock bottom before they make the change.
Sounds like you gave him a rather cushy bottom this last time. I'm sure you've learned better now.
It's a tough disease. Rehab will give him the tools and knowledge, but it's up to him in the end.

I wouldn't dwell on the fact he stole or tried to steal some family treasures. To him, at the time, he wasn't thinking in those terms. He was just doing what he felt he had to do to feed the demon inside him. I imagine he was in terrible straights at the time. Maybe the next choice would have resulted in someone getting hurt...
I'd advise everyone lose the anger over that.
There are human lives and then there are things. Just my opinion.

You can be supportive, but in the end, it's up to him. Eventually the choice for him will come down to life or death. I think the sooner he realizes that, the better.

Support, don't enable. Beyond that it's in his hands. It's his life to live. You can't live it for him.
Andy

Posted: January 29, 2014, 9:54 AM
Thank you. I did not mention he is 27 (if that matters) He's been round and round this a few times so when the other family members see me "go back for more" they put me down and tell me how foolish I am. He's robbed my mom and brother before. I was responsible for asking them to trust him again - "he's doing well now". He was on the honor roll and getting offers for a scholarship - I mean it was looking really good! Its not easy believe me. I think maybe if I didnt see the old pals on facebook and get the same "why you guys punishing me dad" atitude when he emails me I might think exactly like you guys do without question. These very things made me question myself and reach out to this forum. I KNOW I "should" give him the stuff - but when we gave him those things (and much more) before ... and got lured into trusting again - we got blindsided. I guess what I am looking for is the support from people who have been throught this before to help me "just do it" even though my brother and wife will probably make my likfe hell for it. Thanks again.

Posted: January 29, 2014, 11:11 PM
His stuff is his stuff. Were strings attached when these things were 'given' to him? If so, were those strings made clear...like did someone actually say, you only have a right to this if you stay clean? Mark gave you some excellent advice about just giving it to him and washing your hands of it.

You are not responsible for the family members who trusted him again or who supported him...that was their choice to make and it's merely convenient that they can now turn to you and say, 'you made us do this'...not fair, and not right. Addicts do hurtful things and family members do things that serve their own needs and sense of selves, then convince themselves they are doing it for the addict. I am the mother of a recovering heroin addict, so this is just my hard-earned experience here.

If your son has been doing this since he was 15 it's time to cut the cord and let him feel the full weight of his choices. Give him his stuff, tell him to figure out what to do with the rest of it, and tell him you know he can manage and do the next right thing...then back out leaving only the love and encouragement in place. The rest of the family just needs to stop making it about themselves and let it go...but if they can't, too bad for them. Tell them your plan and then carry it out...they don't have to like it and you don't have to listen to their complaints. Tell them you understand their feelings, but having made them clear and made you aware, that is all the mental energy you are prepared to put into it. Politely back out of any further conversations on the subject with, "You've made your feelings clear and I understand. I have also made my decision so there really isn't anything more to discuss." Don't explain, they won't hear you anyway...sounds like it's been done to death already. Often family members just perpetuate the drama, but you can opt out anytime.

It's not easy, but you can do it. Hang in there.

Peace~MomNMore

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image

Posted: January 29, 2014, 11:25 PM
Andy,

We're copying your thread to the Families/Partners of Addicts Board, so check there too for replies.

- the moderators
Andy

Posted: January 30, 2014, 10:11 AM
I am grateful for the time you all took to write. I really needed this and I know your advice will help me do the right thing. Thank you all very much.

Posted: February 2, 2014, 12:02 PM

I did the same thing to my parents. The first time I stole from them, I remember the tremendous amounts of guilt I was feeling; it kept me from stealing items I thought were more sentimental and valuable. Over time, the guilt lessened; it was replaced by a perverse sense of pride in having figured out yet another way to get money together to finance my addiction.

I've been clean six months. My family is as supportive as a family could be. My parents let me move back in with them, which I honestly don't think I would have done if I were in their position. They have struggled with the same issue you're struggling with: how can I give my son *anything* when he might use it to get high or stay high?

They basically wound up putting a certain amount of very cautious trust in me. There was no other way to move forward. It was so hard for them to do that I actually suggested the idea of me moving into a 3/4 House.

All the while I was telling them that I was serious about recovery, which was a lie that they had heard so many times in the past. The only difference this time is that I was finally being truthful when I said it. Had it been just another lie, they would have had their heart broken yet again, and the ties that bind would have once more been subject to what has to be the ultimate test of tensile strength.

Do you attend Al-Anon meetings? I cannot recommend this highly enough. There are tons of parents worrying about this same issue. Hear what they did. Hear what worked and what didn't.

I am not in your situation and have no personal experience with your side of this situation, so I am limited in my ability to offer you advice. What I can say is that I've known lots of addicts in their teens and twenties who found themselves having frequent angry outbursts at their families in early recovery. These outbursts usually stemmed from frustration that their families weren't giving them the trust that they thought they had earned. This happened to me, and I had to make a concerted effort to remember what I had put my family through (and what I was still putting them through), and make absolutely sure not to react angrily when they revealed their lack of trust in me.

This is actually when they really did start to trust me a little bit more. They considered my angry outbursts to be a reflection of where I was really at in my recovery; they felt they were signs of how selfish I still was. And they were absolutely right. Once they saw that I was aware of what I had done to them, we started to find more common ground.

I'd love to talk with you one-on-one, if you're interested. I am not a counselor or a doctor or anything of the sort, but I am working very hard at my recovery, and I was in your son's situation very recently.

Best of luck! You and your family will be in my thoughts.

My email:
rustbeltrecovery@gmail.com

Posted: February 2, 2014, 2:11 PM
take a minute and look through the items before you release them, if you find stolen items reclaim them, jewelry, golf clubs etc prob anything of real value has been sold. I understand, my 30 yo son just went to prison 2 weeks ago, he is an addict that stole anything that wasn't nailed down. when I went through the stuff he had here I found many things I know were stolen, clothes, dvds, but they also didn't belong to me, they are in a tote and taped closed. I agree give him the things that are "his" what he does from there is his choice. I lost many sentimental items of jewelry and have many angry moments but I have to let it go, I cant get things back, it is a very difficult hurdle....hang in there dad MomG

Posted: February 7, 2014, 4:11 AM
Everything your son did I did. Same exact situation word for word. I did 5 years and 11 days in prison and eventually after coming home I started using again. Today I am on methadone and been clean for years yet still on the methadone and plan on staying on it forever. Tell him to consider MAT(medicated Assistant Therapy) Methadone, suboxone, naloxone (vivatrol) The first two will take away the urge to use. The Vivatrol I suggest looking it up. You really need a support group and really good coping skills to be on that to work successfully.

--------------------
I can quit anytime. I did it a million times.

Posted: February 7, 2014, 5:52 PM
Great advice Angelo,
I wish methadone was not looked down on by so many. Not being educated about it is how the misinformation gets out there.
Once the correct information is known it makes a persons decision to use it so much better and the more people, like yourself, who speak the truth about it the more addicts can be helped.

can you imagine what it would be like if there was NO methadone????? A scary thought. Thank you for the good words.

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
post replypost new topic