post replypost new topic
Does A Sponsor Have Any Responsibility Towards The

Posted: March 25, 2014, 9:48 PM

...people in the sponsee's life?

I just had a relationship experience with a recovering addict (former cocain user), who was telling me in under a week of meeting me that he had fallen in love, and consequently kept telling me for a month how much in love he is with me, how he cannot imagine his life without me, how he will marry me some day, and who now, only a month later, is apparently "in love" with someone else.

Now, my mind is not occupied with thoughts of retaliation against the guy or anything like that - if anything, I am glad the man showed me his true colors so early on. But I am thinking now, I kinda wish his sponsor (who was at best apprehensive about our relationship from the start, which I know from my ex's words) reached out to me and warned me. I didn't have any prior experience dating an addict, and didn't know or realize that this is how it works. The first article in a Google search I just did sums this phenomenon up very nicely (minus the god stuff, IMO).

I don't envy this guy's friends, who probably have to listen to how much in love he is every other month (I know he was telling anybody who would listen about me), and whereas while we were together I wasn't truly comprehending what was up his sponsor's butt, now all I can think is, that poor, poor man! I wonder how he doesn't just wash his hands of this particular sponsee entirely!

So, my question is, can a sponsor actually do that? I don't mean abandon the sponsee, but reach out to the people in that sponsee's life.

This post has been edited by catbert on March 26, 2014, 6:26 AM

Posted: March 26, 2014, 6:39 AM
There are no hard and steadfast rules for sponors as it is a task that has evolved on it's one. If anything the only true job of a sponsor is to help with the steps. Sponsors are not counselors, therapist or doctors, but many assume the role and responsibility of such, just out of personal desire.

Regards,
Larry

--------------------
All gods send their drunks to AA

My story.. https://www.addictionrecoveryguide.o...ST&f=16&t=63644
post replypost new topic