next >  post replypost new topic
Can A Former Drug Addict-cokhead---drink Alcohol
xtXXX

Posted: September 15, 2011, 9:31 PM
i have stopped drugs for a long time now but i want to drink alcohol---Alcohol has been related with drugs use and cocaine before---they came hand in hand...i have stopped drugs now and ma wondering---can i drink alcohol OCCASIONALLY,, HOW CAN U RELATE THX

Posted: September 16, 2011, 1:50 PM
hi there ,

Male or female, I understand your pain/train of thought.

My advice would be, I have no idea!

But if you are really worried then why take the risk? Perhaps leave it a while until you are more confident.

Alcohol and cocaine is very much the chicken/egg scenario. Which came first? Who cares and does it really matter? x

Posted: September 16, 2011, 3:12 PM
didnt mean to sound flippant.

On a serious note, I think it is best too avoid all. Those I know with drug issues either end up straight or with other dependancies.

xx

Posted: September 16, 2011, 4:42 PM
I don't know about you, but for me coke and booze went hand in hand...the more coke I did, the more booze I could consume and the more booze I drank, the more I wanted coke. For me it was a bad idea to drink when I quit snorting, and generally speaking, if you need to ask the question, you already know the answer...

Peace ~ MomNMore

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image
RANSl

Posted: September 18, 2011, 9:21 AM
i am having the exact problem--cause everytime i drink... i become aggressive and miss cocaine...i dont think u will ever enjoy drinking again

Posted: September 19, 2011, 8:31 AM
A drug is a drug is a drug....never worked for me. If I did any drug that altered my mind I would immediately want my drug of choice. Alcohol also impairs your decision making process making it harde to resist the temptation....or should I say easier to give in to the temptation. I have to stay 100% clean and sober from all drugs....it is a great wat to feel!!!

Posted: September 27, 2011, 12:00 PM
I liked spaghetti's reply..."I got no idea"

Nothing better than honesty.

So the question was, "can a former cokehead drink alcohol?"
1) Which former cokehead?
You?...how would I know or anybody else for that matter.
Me?....yes I could, but I chose not to.
Why?....because there is no gaurentee that I will not do something stupid like smoke crack why I get a few in me. And it just ain't worth the risk. Alcohol is not nor was it ever my drug of choice. I don't like the buzz, but I do like the taste. Certain tastes, dark beer and red wines can compliment a good meal. But I don't drink to get drunk. Please don't misunderstand, I have done my fair sure of toilet hugging, but I grew out of that. I don't know how long it's been since I got drunk, many years I suppose. But I have been buzzed and only after 3 or 4 beers. Which tells me I am a light weight and perhaps just 1 or 2 would be enough to alter my judgement and I am not going to take that chance

Larry

--------------------
All gods send their drunks to AA

My story.. https://www.addictionrecoveryguide.o...ST&f=16&t=63644

Posted: October 2, 2011, 3:15 PM
No No - even if coke was your drug of choice - if you drink alcohol, or use any other drug that makes you high - you have a strong chance to RELAPSE - and begin using coke again.
Don't do it. This is part of relapse prevention.

--------------------
Blessings,
Dr. Irab
retired psychiatrist
freebaser of cocaine for 2 years +alcohol
addict/alcoholic
c/s 12 yrs thru 12 step.
Former Medical Director:
Methadone Maintenance Clinic.

Posted: October 3, 2011, 2:48 PM
To my fellow recovering addicts:
Everyone needs to learn and practice daily the traditional "RELAPSE PREVENTION METHODS"
I listed ones pertinent to me on an index card and carried it with me and read and re-read it daily.

Blessings in your recovery journey!

--------------------
Blessings,
Dr. Irab
retired psychiatrist
addict/alcoholic
c/s 12 yrs thru 12 step.
Former Medical Director:
me

Posted: October 7, 2011, 8:00 AM
I know for my daughter, drinking any alcohol always led to drugs.

You said "Alcohol has been related with drugs use and cocaine before---they came hand in hand." I think that is your answer.
NeverLookBack

Posted: October 11, 2011, 2:27 PM
I'm not, nor have I ever been a cocaine addict. I also am not an alcoholic but I am an addict so I am appropriately scared of drinking. My DOC is painkillers. For me, I started out in college with the gateway drug of all gateway drugs...alcohol. I never liked it. I didn't like the taste or the hangover the next day. I only liked not being sober. I wasn't one to binge drink. I loved achieving the buzz and would try to keep it at a reasonable level. I had mixed success with that. Once I tried my first drug, which was hash, I realized that I could send alcohol packing for good since I now had something better and I felt pretty smug about my victory and control over booze. Now I realize that if all I allow myself is alcohol, then I will misuse it, abuse it and become dependent on it. It's better that I indulge in no intoxicants even those which I didn't have to struggle to quit in the past, while using my DOC. ;-)

Posted: October 12, 2011, 10:18 AM

NOTHING WRITTEN BY ME IS INTENDED TO BE, AND MUST NOT BE TAKEN TO BE, THE PRACTICE OF MEDICINE, INCLUDING PSYCHOLOGY, PSYCHIATRY, OR PSYCHOTHERAPY, OR PROVIDING HEALTH CARE ADVICE OR INSTRUCTION FOR DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT.

--------------------
Blessings,
Dr. Irab
retired psychiatrist
addict/alcoholic
c/s 12 yrs thru 12 step.
Former Medical Director:

Posted: October 19, 2011, 3:24 PM
yes, i agree MomNmore
DanF

Posted: December 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
Should recovering drug addicts drink booze? First consider alcohol is a drug and alcohol never improved anyone's life. Drugs and booze simply do NOT work to improve people's lives.
What does work to improve your life? Sound diet and exercise! This we know works.

I'm an ex-drunk. My drug of choice has always been weed. I quit weed at 18 and decided to just drink alcohol. I then became a drunk! Booze brought me to my knees and asked Mother Teresa for help. This is what worked for me. I was in the middle of a drinking session when I prayed to her. I immediately broke down sobbing and felt that she loved & cared about me, and was going to help me. It was a long miserable home-detox. I recovered solely on faith, sound diet and exercise.

Prior to that, there was a family intervention about my drinking. I was forced to go a 5-day detox. It didn't work for me because they gave me drugs (benzos). The drugs did not allow my body to return to normal homeostasis. I drank the day I got out.

Eating junk food & drinking coffee (served at AA meetings), and attending AA meeting does NOT work. Sugar and caffeine are both mood altering drugs! And telling people they are part of an elite group of ex-drunks (better than all the non-AAs) may work for some, but most ex-drunks don't go to AA. There have been studies to prove to it. Most ex-drunks are ashamed of their booze history and don't want to live in the past. AA represents their past. There is an expression "put down the cross, we need the wood!" It's about people make themselves depressed by ruminating over the past.

My advice for quitting drugs and booze? Sound diet and exercise. This is the extent of my advice to others. I don't tell people to do anything else.
michelle

Posted: September 6, 2014, 8:28 PM
See I disagree I was on pills then herion for many years but prior to that I use to go out and drink or have friends over alot and drink but when I started the drugs I no longer wanted anything to do with drinking but now I have 3 years off drugs and I have had a drink a few times and I never thought of using when I had some drinks I only drank maybe 3 times in a year but I was fine
joeb110

Posted: January 5, 2015, 7:28 AM
Alcohol and cocaine use go absolutely hand in hand, everyones body Is different but if you don't want to use coke anymore then drinking is not the way to keep off of it. For me, I absolutely cannot drink a couple beers without having irresistible cravings to smoke crack, it just will not work, no matter what I say or do, I will be out getting it after drinking. I wanted to be able to kind of substitute the crack with drinking but it will definitely doesn't work. Bottom line is, drinking will lead to the same exact problems that you had.
robin

Posted: January 7, 2015, 3:09 AM
For me the drinking almost always leads to coke....that's just me

Posted: May 4, 2015, 12:19 AM
Many friends I know keep falling back into the same trap. They ask me how I stopped doing coke and my answer is always the same. I don't drink. There is absolutely no way I could ever stop and remain stopped from doing coke if I were to drink again. It is not worth risking.
Reaching out

Posted: August 25, 2015, 5:36 AM
So I love to drink beer. A majority of the guys I work with are probably clinically diagnosable alcoholics. I used to be in sales making ok money and occasionally doing a bit of blow when I drank but it was always just a one every few months and always within my means. Since I switched jobs I'm operating a crane making s*** tons of money and the gym is a distant memory from my life since I got my first raise. I want to go back to having casual beers with the boys and not haVing someone even say the word coke make me stary racing through my phone. Any advice and foes anyone actually think I'll be able to socially drink st so e point again. I'd have to completely change my entire so ial circle if that's the case. I also just signed a years lease with a big time party friend.

Looking for support.

Posted: August 25, 2015, 7:26 AM
This is what Narcotics Anonymous says about alcohol :

http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
post replypost new topic