post replypost new topic
Lexapro? For Cocaine Rehabilitation?
leaving_town

Posted: May 13, 2004, 6:14 PM
I went to my psychiatrist and psychologist today and both told me that they think I should take an antidepressant to aid in my rehabilitation from cocaine. They both mentioned a drug called Lexapro, which is the isomer isolation of the active qualities of the already popular drug Celexa. I am unsure to whether or not this might be the best option considering that I have already disturbed the harmonics of my brain chemistry. If anybody has ever had any experience with this drug in regards to rehabilitation from cocaine I would appreciate your input.

Thanks everyone and I just want to say that this board has helped me so much in my move from a drug lifestyle to a clean lifestyle.

Thanks.

Posted: May 14, 2004, 8:55 AM
hi, I'm on lexapro for my depression as for it helping rehabilitate you from your coke addiction I'm not sure I still do coke every once in a while. Maybe you should give it a try though anti-depressants work different for everyone. I think though that you should give it a try.
leaving_town

Posted: May 14, 2004, 9:56 AM
I have been on scores of antidepressants in the past. I guess I am just scared that lexapro might work adversely for me since I have used cocaine in the past. If you could share any more information regarding how cocaine has affected the outcome of lexapro for you I would greatly appreciate it.

And also thanks for responding to my post. I find sometimes that very few people actually do. :)
J

Posted: May 15, 2004, 10:57 AM
I have been a coke addict for allmost 20 years so you can imagfine how many anti depressants I have tried in this period. I am on welbutrin xl. I have been for 6 yrs. This is one of two that i see given to coke addicts in rehab.(I have done 8 rehabs) The other popular one for cocaione addicts is Desipramine. I am not very familiar with it, but it is one that was given to Cocaine addicts more than others. Lexapro is actually vewry much like Zoloft. The people I know that were on Zoloft eventually hit a plateau and it no longer seems to work. In the cases I have seen, thesae people were switched to lexapro and had good results. Lexapro is cleaner than Zoloft, by that i mean it is more targeted, so there are less side effects. I am not a Doctor, and as you probably know everybody doesn't have same results from trhe same pill due to our differing body chemistries I would ask about Desipramine, or maybe look it up on the net. See if it dounds like it fits your need, ask your Doctor what he thinks. I am starting Gabitril today. An anti seizure medicine that has had impressive results in reducing cravings in cocainee addicts. I will start a post after the first week so I can share what my thoughts are and how it is wotking.
iLoveVicodin

Posted: May 23, 2004, 1:17 AM
Cocaine works on your serotonin system, and when u stop using it your brain is depleted of serotonin and all of the serotonin receptors that cocaine once filled are left empty. You crave cocaine because your serotonin receptors are missing serotonin. If you go on a serotonin booster like Lexapro, those receptors will fill back up, helping your cravings for cocaine to become less severe and less frequent.
know

Posted: September 16, 2015, 3:47 AM
I have been on citalopham. I moved to escitalopham do to some side effects I was having. I can honestly say that being on this medication, I have craved cocaine less. If you are not in the drug environment any longer then think about taking your doctors advice. Just be aware that these type medications don't work in one week. So if your looking for immediate at facts, this isn't it.
post replypost new topic