post replypost new topic
Cocaine Induced Psychosis

Posted: October 7, 2005, 12:12 AM
Cocaine intoxication delirium
The diagnosis of cocaine intoxication delirium is made instead of the diagnosis of cocaine intoxication only when the cognitive symptoms are in excess of those typically encountered in cocaine intoxication. These symptoms are of such severity as to warrant independent clinical attention.

The diagnostic criteria of cocaine intoxication delirium include both a disturbance in consciousness resulting in a reduction of the patient's ability to focus, sustain, or shift attention and a change in cognition. These changes must develop over a short period and fluctuate in severity throughout the day.

Patients with delirium demonstrate impairment in their ability to receive, process, store, and recall information. They are easily distracted by irrelevant stimuli. Reasoning and problem solving is difficult. Orientation to time and place may be impaired, but orientation to person typically is intact except in the most severe cases. Cocaine-induced delirium is usually transient and reversible.

Evidence must show that the above changes occur during or are related to cocaine intoxication.

Cocaine-induced psychotic disorders with delusions
The diagnosis of cocaine-induced psychotic disorder with delusions is made instead of a diagnosis of cocaine intoxication or withdrawal only when the psychotic symptoms are in excess of those typically encountered in intoxication or withdrawal. Delusions may be of any type but typically are paranoid and/or grandiose in nature.

Patients presenting with psychosis demonstrate a gross distortion of their mental capacity, communication, interactions with others, ability to recognize reality, and affective response. These distortions interfere with their ability to cope with the ordinary demands of everyday life.

A person demonstrating delusions clings to a false belief or judgment despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. For example, a female abusing cocaine may demonstrate delusions of grandeur and believe that she possesses great wealth, intellect, and power, despite the fact that she is homeless and without education. Suicidal or homicidal ideation can occur in response to delusional beliefs.

The diagnostic criteria for this disorder include prominent delusions developing during or within a month of cocaine intoxication or withdrawal.

Cocaine-induced psychotic disorders with hallucinations
The diagnosis of cocaine-induced psychotic disorder with hallucinations is made instead of cocaine intoxication or withdrawal only when the psychotic symptoms are in excess of those typically encountered in intoxication or withdrawal.

A person demonstrating hallucinations has a strong subjective perception in any sensory modality of an object or event when no such object or event is present. Auditory and tactile are the 2 types of hallucinations encountered most frequently. For example, a person may be witnessed in conversation with himself or herself and may state that he or she is talking with someone else in the room when, in fact, no one else is present. Hallucinations can contribute to suicidal or homicidal ideation; therefore, risk of harm to self or others must be assessed.

The diagnostic criteria for this disorder include prominent hallucinations developing during or within a month of cocaine intoxication or withdrawal.

Cocaine-induced mood disorder
In cocaine-induced mood disorder, a prominent and persistent disturbance in mood that arises only in association with the abuse of cocaine must occur. The symptoms must develop during or within 1 month of cocaine use, and the use of cocaine closely corresponds to these symptoms.

The mood changes may be depressive, manic, or mixed (neither mania nor depression predominates). The symptoms must not be better accounted for by another mood disorder that is not induced by cocaine, must not occur only during delirium, and must cause significant impairment in areas of functioning, such as social or occupational.

A patient demonstrating a depressed mood may show a loss of interest in daily activities, apathy, weight changes, fatigue, feelings of worthlessness, excessive guilt, indecisiveness, diminished ability to concentrate, and/or recent thoughts of death.

A patient presenting with acute mania may demonstrate inflated self-esteem, decreased need for sleep, talkativeness, flight of ideas, distractibility, increased goal-directed activity, and/or irritability.

Cocaine-induced anxiety disorder
To be diagnosed with cocaine-induced anxiety disorder, a patient must have prominent anxiety, panic attacks, obsessions, or compulsions. The symptoms must develop during or within 1 month of cocaine use, and the use of cocaine closely corresponds to these symptoms.

The symptoms must not be better accounted for by another anxiety disorder that is not induced by cocaine, must not occur only during delirium, and must cause significant impairment in areas of functioning, such as social or occupational.

A patient presenting with a cocaine-induced anxiety disorder demonstrates a diffuse, highly unpleasant, often vague feeling of apprehension accompanied by one or more bodily sensations, such as tightness in the chest or pounding heart.

Cocaine-induced sexual dysfunction
To be diagnosed with cocaine-induced sexual dysfunction, a patient must have prominent sexual dysfunction that results in distress or interpersonal difficulty.

The symptoms of sexual dysfunction include impaired sexual desire, impaired arousal, impaired orgasm, or sexual pain.

The symptoms must develop during or within 1 month of cocaine use, and the use of cocaine closely corresponds to these symptoms. The symptoms must not be better accounted for by another sexual dysfunction that is not induced by cocaine.

Cocaine-induced sleep disorder
To be diagnosed with cocaine-induced sleep disorder, a patient must have a prominent disturbance in sleep.

The 4 types of sleep disorder include insomnia, hypersomnia, parasomnia, and a mixed sleep disorder in which more than one sleep disturbance occurs and none predominates.

The symptoms must develop during or within 1 month of cocaine use, and the use of cocaine closely corresponds to these symptoms. The symptoms must not be better accounted for by another sleep disorder that is not induced by cocaine, must not occur exclusively during delirium, and must cause significant impairment in areas of functioning, such as social or occupational.

--------------------

Laurie

Posted: October 7, 2005, 12:17 PM
My son is still using cocaine the amount I do not know however I see changes in him that are quite alarming. His motor skills are quite impaired at times. His memory is very short. Even when he is not using cocaine his sleep pattern is quite disturbed, he may sleep for an hour at a time. He suffers severe headaches, has lost a great deal of weight. Are these all cocaine induced?
He has complained of chest pains and a sore spine, complaints of poor vision. You seem to be quite educated on this topic I was wondering if you could answer any of these questions. thankyou

Posted: October 16, 2005, 4:15 AM
i have a husband who was very good ,honest and loving. he started snorting cocaine and monts later his behavior changed. he seemed unhappy and distant.he would get upset because i didn't want to do it. he was doing it alone and started to say often he was lonely and board.the next thing i knew he left me for anoter woman and started out of control. what iwas told he was walking around the house looking out windows holding a gun.right before he left(which i had no idea he was leaving)he was telling me he loved me so much .he was making plans with me to buy a house and at the same time he was planning on leaving me for this other woman.i went into the bathroom and he left and never came back not even to pick up one thing.things he has been collecting since he was a kid.not even his truck.he also told me he didn't know what he was doing and he just wanted to disapear.he still told me he loved me and then he hated me.he was so back and forth about everything and no one can get him to talk about anything at all.you can't mention my name or anything about our past life. it's like it never existed.he's always drinking to much and is now very vulger.this is a person who in 9 yrs. never drank or cussed.he even said he was angry at god.thats not like him at all.he should be so happy now that he is with this other woman who is 20 yrs. older. and yet he says he feels so alone amd he's just existing.then he says he is happy. he tells people he misses me and he thought he would be happy once he left me but that he's not at all.but at the same time he will not talk to me at all. he's never said a word to me about anything at all.he dosn't care about anything and doesn't want to know anything about responsabilities at all.he won't even talk about his school loans which he's never even paid on.when they ask him about anything like that all he says is i don't want to talk about it even though it's his future.he has his masters degree in psychology. did he change his personality because of cocaine?does cocaine do this or did he just want another woman.i am so confused what happened.was it me or coke?
Lori

Posted: October 16, 2005, 10:07 AM
Gosh i totally feel for you and i had to post to you, please remember it is not you. It sounds like it is the coke from what you are saying. My ex got alot like that also almost like they are having a break down. He left me for someone else and then wanted me back. Became very moody, distant, secretive and i became very scared of him and his psychotic behavior it was nice one minute in love the next i am no good. I had to leave i moved and changed my number, i was too scared.

You need to protect yourself. You can e-mail me if you like at laurmary@msn.com.

Keep posting and go over to the friends and family board many are going through the same thing.

Lori

Posted: October 17, 2005, 2:21 AM
What you are describing is absolutely cocaine induced. And it will only get worse. It pushes you to the brink and over the edge into insanity. Unless he gets clean and stays that way for a while (6 months or so), I suggest staying away from him. Cocaine/crack addicts always have the potential to be violent. The most quiet,kind, loving, giving person who goes over the edge with cocaine/crack can become suicidal/homicidal. I know because the person I just described was me. I thank God everyday for my 60 days clean because someone was going to die in my relationship if I didn't run as fast as I could and get away and get help. I will add you and your addict to my prayers each day.

--------------------
Your Friend In Recovery,
Arememom

Posted: July 26, 2006, 9:41 PM
bump for Em

--------------------

Posted: July 27, 2006, 4:16 AM
Thanks cyn

Also for "Gettingby" as requested

Em

--------------------
When God made me he was showing off
Martin From Oxford (England)

Posted: April 6, 2015, 7:30 PM
My partner has a real problem; she has a Crack habit which she is in total denial over. She also has an alcohol problem. She engages with the local harm minimization team on her own terms. Every two weeks she attends her session (With a remarkably good worker!) and gives the usual pee sample, which usually turns up negative. It is clear for one simple reason; she does a lot of crack the week she is not due to see her worker and subsequently stays off it the week she is doe to collect her methadone script. It still makes me question why the drugs support workers simply allow this to happen.

Every year she does the same thing. Her ex-partner shows up to see his son after 6 months or so of not bothering to pay him any attention whatsoever. After a few weeks of this, they start drinking together (Her partner is a serious alcoholic that usually takes their 8 year old son to the local street drinking places to enjoy the company of half a dozen or so utterly drunk individuals). She will come home late completely intoxicated and be totally incapable of looking after her 8 year old son or our 7 month old baby. She will come home angry, she will come home having been drinking with her ex for hours and she will come home with our baby. Yes, with our baby; she will simply take off in the morning and bring our little one home (somehow, as she is usually incapable of any real parenting) and start the torrent of abuse that has become our relationship over the last three years. The abuse is always the same; she will tell me how useless I am, what a terrible father I am, how all her other men have been far better than me (Which is odd, since all of her previous partners have been violent to her). Once this cycle has gotten itself under way she will then start the crack cocaine nightmare once again. She will find every excuse and opportunity to take as much crack as she can lay her hands on. Her 8 year old son once spotted her getting into a car a few weeks ago and casually remarked “that’s the crack dealers car” and then went on to describe it perfectly from memory ending with saying “I know, because she goes in it a lot sometimes”. I will find gauze hidden in strange places or even left occasionally on the floor. She will have sudden fits of going to the toilet every few minutes leaving the obvious smell of a freshly burned crack stone. She will of course deny any crack taking despite the obvious odour and fog left in the toilet. I should also add that these sudden onsets of needing to go to the loo every few minutes rather conflict with the fact she is extremely constipated due to the methadone and codeine phosphate which she routinely binges on. Recently I caught her smoking crack in our bedroom just before our baby was due to go to sleep. She was actually smoking it right over his little Moses basket. Again, she denies everything and tells me and everyone within earshot that I am being a control freak. This goes on and on; going out with her ex, coming home utterly wasted with our poor baby in tow, abusing me verbally and every now and again punching or hitting me.

Then we get to the Cocaine Psychosis. Now here is true Hell on Earth. She will have so much crack (with her ex or some of the working girls she likes to hang around with, again, often with our baby and very often with her own son) that she completely changes from the loving woman with whom I fell passionately in love with, to a paranoid, hateful, spiteful and utterly horrible monster with whom I seem destined to do battle for the rest of the evening until she finally passes out. She will tell me the most shocking things about me and during these rages; she really does hate every sinew of my being. She utterly despises me. She wants to destroy me and she will make sure that I know the full depths of her profound resentment.

I have left her twice in the three years we have been together because of just this. I have always returned to her once she has completely crashed and pick up the pieces, telling her that I will never leave her and that I love her.

This time things have been worse; far worse.

Our anniversary was a few weeks ago. I had been working just outside of London one Sunday morning. I am a professional musician and among the instruments I play I am an organist. I had been playing for a dear friend who is the Parish Priest of a church well known for its music. On the way back (with her son, who is usually in tow as he gets a free train ride and fast food!) I popped into the perfume and potions place at Victoria station and made sure I celebrated out third anniversary with some expensive fragrance and the usual gamut of cards and flowers. On the Monday in question, which was our anniversary I came back home from shopping with our baby to find her ex and her getting drunk on special brew, playing happy families in or front room. I told him exactly where to go and left for a few hours. He was still there when I got back. He did leave then as he knows that although I am a pretty mild mannered guy, I am more than capable of “looking after myself”. When this ex of hers has had a few drinks in him however, he becomes abusive, aggressive and very unpredictable.

This is becoming regular.

This evening, she came in so drunk and full of spite that I called the police. She was utterly incapable of looking after herself let alone her son or our baby. She was angry, swearing at me, calling me every name under the sun, saying things that she hoped would really upset me; hurt me. She followed me from room to room in our flat so she could carry on trying to destroy me. I would manage to get away from her only to have her push or ram her way in to the room I had just moved to. I would move away and ask her just to calm down or to ease up and stop the stupid name calling and threatening. Once things had calmed down she would start up again. She recently removed me from the tenancy of our home, so I have very little security. All at once I realised that her ex was in the front room and was seriously insulting, undermining and threatening me; all while she was not only encouraging him but actively joining in. Even her 8 year old started chiding me and that he hated me. Now, it would have been very easy indeed for me to knock seven bells out of her ex as he is a typical bully and woman beater (in case you had forgotten, he spent 8 years beating the living daylight out of her) and simply cannot fight. It would have been all over in a matter of thirty or so seconds; the ambulance would have taken him away; the police would have taken me away and we would be in an utter mess. So, here is what I did; I listened to his threats, told him that he was really just nothing and not even worth my anger and went into the bedroom with my baby. Things progressed from bad to worse.
What may seem strange to you is that it has taken only a matter of a few days to go from a loving partner and mother to this vengeful daemon. This, above all, shows me that she has been hitting the crack very hard. I know because I have seen her do this before. She still finds it perfectly normal that she took crack while she was pregnant. She did exactly what she always does when her drugs worker confronted her about it; she lied. Her worker just wrote a little note in the corner of a ledger that will never be read by anyone and that was that. Simple. Effective. Wrong.
She has drunk too much – she is wasted
She has done so much crack that she is actually psychotic – she is mentally ill
She really doesn’t know the difference between reality and fantasy
She is paranoid
She cannot look after her children
She will do it all again tomorrow
I’m leaving with my baby tomorrow morning. I will simply go shopping and not return. I will probably lose all of my clothes, possessions, books, music and instruments; but my baby will be safe and my baby will be with the one who loves him. I don’t even have somewhere definite to go with my little one; but nowhere is better than the certainty of the Hell I and he have been living though. When the police came round they didn't really do much, in fact they made things a tad worse. Let me tell you what happened.

Sheryl was drunk, abusive and paranoid. She told me that we had ran out of baby wipes for out little one (who does, like all babies, need rather a lot!). I offered her £10 to go and get some. She sent forth a volley of abuse. The police did nothing. She stared cleaning our little one after a nappy change with some toilet paper or something similar. I went to the shops to buy some baby wipes. They were of course the wrong ones. They were the worst ones. They were the cheapest ones. The list goes on. However, by the time the police had left the events had changed in her mind to me calling the police because she had used toilet paper on our son. Seriously.

She then proceeded to tell our unwanted guest (Yes, her beloved, woman-beating, alcoholic, junkie ex) exactly the story as it had been rearranged in her head. How I called the police just because she had used toilet paper and not baby wipes. He was aggressive, rude, insulting and very threatening as I described before. I still kept my composure and did not hit him.
So that is that. I am going with my son tomorrow. The police are perfectly happy with my departure. They have involved social services with her own son.

She will completely freak out once she has realized that I am not coming home and neither is my son. She will call the police and accuse me of “Kidnap” (she really never uses the gerund). She will drink more booze. She will get more drunk. She will call her ex round. They will drink more booze and get more drunk together. She will hit the crack really hard. They will undoubtedly destroy my things. I will be away and my son will be safe.

If you have any faith at all; its time to pray…

Posted: August 6, 2015, 2:21 AM
Hey Martin, hope things ended up ok for you and your son. I'm sorry no one replied sooner. As I'm a recovering opiate addict I usually stay on those forums. I read this story and it broke my heart, if you get on at all please give an update :) praying for you and your son
post replypost new topic