post replypost new topic
Aa Question About Sponsors

Posted: January 18, 2017, 4:20 PM
I just started two weeks ago attending AA meetings. I have a temporary sponsor right now who I need to call every day because she said so. I don't call her every day. I never considered myself an alcoholic. I didn't drink every day but when I did, I would overdo it.
I don't want to have to call somebody every day. It's annoying. I just want to go to the meetings for support. Can I get through the 12 steps without a sponsor?

Posted: January 18, 2017, 5:48 PM
Hiya...

You'll eventually find in the Big Book of AA stuff on Will power and how we used it incorrectly. It kept me sick for years.

It also says half measures availed us nothing, I was a half and half, and remained sick.

Good luck to you my friend.

This post has been edited by Paul UK on January 18, 2017, 5:50 PM

--------------------
LET GO LET GOD
Mary

Posted: January 18, 2017, 9:14 PM
I approach AA with a more open mind (God did give us brains, and expects us to use them). I take what I want from AA and leave the rest. What I want from AA is this: A support group to help me abstain from using alcohol. I love AA meetings. I love the fellowship and support. I love reading the Big Book. What I don't love is when I see personalities and egos within the program begin to eclipse the simple principles set forth in the Big Book. I had two sponsors and they both were WAY over the line in the personality/ego department. I cut them both loose. I worked the steps on my own (once again, I have a brain and could figure out how to work them...didn't need a sponsor to "guide" me through). For me, the power of AA lies in the group, and when I start breaking off and dealing excessively with individuals within the program I get uncomfortable.

I have a little over 18 months of sobriety...not exactly an old-timer but long enough to know that I am doing something right.

Posted: January 18, 2017, 9:34 PM
Hi Welcome. sponsors work for me . I dropped some along the way that was not beneficial to my recovery but the ones that have worked were a God send to me...I cannot imagine working my recovery on my own. .hope it works for you....

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: January 19, 2017, 5:49 PM
Thank you all for replying! You all made me feel so much better. Have any of you researched AUD (Alcohol Use Disorder)? It seems to be something I can relate to. I think the term "alcoholic" is very vague. This is my opinion of course. I started to listen to some speakers on Naltrexone.

Here is some info on it:
Naltrexone for Alcohol Dependence
When used as a treatment for alcohol dependency, naltrexone blocks the euphoric effects and feelings of intoxication. This allows people with alcohol addiction to reduce their drinking behaviors enough to remain motivated to stay in treatment and avoid relapses. Naltrexone is not addictive nor does it react adversely with alcohol.

Has anyone tried this?

Posted: February 10, 2017, 1:10 AM
Hi! Naltrexone has been scientifically proven to be a useful tool in treating AUD(alcohol use disorder.

They have done extensive studies in Finland on the use of naltrexone with very good results. You can research the Sinclair method for more info. This is a non-12 step approach to treating AUD. While abstinence is the goal for some with this method, others use it to reduce drinking to non-abusable levels. It is probably wise to note that 12-step programs have slammed this research, despite being able to reproduce the results of the research. It has been found to be more effective than treatment only with 12 step support. The Sinclair method in NO WAY dismisses the 12 steps in their usefulness as a support group for a small percentage of the population diagnosed with SUD.

This method looks at AUD on a spectrum, with only 15% of the population falling into the "severe" catagory. For those people, they are open to recommending abstinence.

Please do some research on this method. It is built on solid science.

There is a documentary called "one little pill" that delves into the use of naltrexone and the Sinclair method (among others) much more deeply.

Posted: February 21, 2017, 6:44 AM
Its kind of like that old saying about the person who represents himself in court has a fool for a client.

Fact is you don't HAVE to do anything in AA, its totally up to you. The point is, IF you are an alcoholic and IF you have a real desire to stop drinking then its probably a good idea to do the suggested things eg have a sponsor take you through the steps.
The reason a temporary sponsor is temporary is that its just someone to get help from until you find the right sponsor for you.

The reason a sponsor is suggested is that alcoholism is a disease of denial - we are masters at lying to ourselves. A sponsor's job is to help us understand the Steps and to maybe call us on some of our BS and help us to see the truth about ourselves.

And a question to ask yourself (and I am not being snide or anything, I mean really ask yourself this question). if you don't consider yourself an alcoholic then WHY are you going to AA meetings?

Idgie
7.5 yrs sober

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.
post replypost new topic