post replypost new topic
Do I Have Alcoholism Or Do I Just Need To Reset?
unknown

Posted: August 25, 2016, 3:24 PM
Hello!
I have been having a lot of trouble understanding my new wanting for alcohol more than usual lately and wondering if it has become a serious problem, and to be honest I didn't think it was.

Here is some background information:

Ever since I was 21 maybe I experimented a few times but I hated the idea of drinking and getting tired so quickly that I actually didn't want to drink much at all. Now i'm wondering if i've found my "nitch" with the alcohol I prefer because it allows me to get a good feeling, still stay awake and can enjoy myself.

Had a break up about three months ago, yes sometimes we have a drink or two to ease that pain but that need for that goes away. I was actually doing great, working out, losing weight was really upset about the breakup but somehow wasn't destroyed by it. I started to hangout with my one friend more often as he was a great friend and we always had great talks, and usually what we did was go for a bite to eat, get a drink or two. Then he started to invite me to go out on Wednesdays for half price drinks I believe, I would have a three drinks (glasses of wine) and feel great but knew when it was my time to stop. I loved the feeling, and definitely made me feel more confident. Slowly I was going from one glass of wine to three and usually thats where I'm at. I started to associate the calmness of the alcohol with having fun, and being relaxed. So I wanted to hangout with my friend more and more not realizing it was probably just for the drinking experience. I started to have wine with my dinner, maybe take some from my mom and have a glass or two and thats it but then my parents started to think I was using that to "solve my issues", yes there was a lot of stress but I didn't really get upset and then just NEED a glass of wine. There are plenty of times throughout the summer I had opportunities to go out and drink but never followed through all the time. I used to drink maybe twice a week but now I want it more and more. I had one glass yesterday and a lot the night before that but I was okay having ONE glass. This is whats confusing am I increasing my tolerance level, getting bored and trying to have more to drink? Or is this a phase (because i barely ever ever drank? Do I need to quit completely or just cut down. I'll usually have one night when I have 75% of a bottle to myself but then I'm okay and I eat and I'm usually fine. Pleas help :(

Posted: August 25, 2016, 9:51 PM
http://www.lanarkleedsaa.org/pages/...n_alcoholic.htm

Let me know how you made out in the test.

Bob

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: November 6, 2016, 1:40 PM
That's an awful lot of hand-wringing over having 2-3 drinks a few times a week w/o consequences, unless of course you aren't being honest with how much you are drinking. Not saying you are being dishonest, just throwing it out there. None of us can truly say if you are an alcoholic. We can give you our opinions but that won't really matter in the end. If you feel guilty for drinking then try not drinking. If you are controlling how much you drink and there are no consequences for your drinking, why are you worried? Wanting to drink and feeling that buzz does not make someone an alcoholic. I would look into your guilt over drinking.

Posted: November 16, 2016, 2:39 PM
You need to see if you are an alcoholic. This is the first step.

Posted: December 18, 2016, 7:33 PM
What u are describing is the early start of what may become a life long career of trying to quit.
When drinking the law of diminishing returns apply for example that 2 glasses of wine no longer gets you relaxed so it becomes 3 then 4 etc etc etc over years a dependency developes without you even noticing, thats when you realise when you miss your regular intake trouble kicks in. In short if you can stick with 1 or 2 drinks thats ok if not quit now will you still have time. Consult with your gp attend some A A meetings or look in to the smart programne what ever you decide dont do it alone.
Good luck & Best wishes minty.

Posted: February 16, 2017, 11:52 AM
Yes, you need to see yourself, what you see on your face? You know, the addicted, alcoholic peoples are looks different than general people. So in this way, you can find out yourself.

Posted: February 26, 2017, 9:54 AM
Here's thought:
Normal people don't go around asking alcoholics if they're alcoholic... If you want to drink that's your business. If you want to stop, AA can help.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
post replypost new topic