post replypost new topic
Quit Drinking At 22, Advice Needed!

Posted: June 19, 2016, 2:50 PM
I Stopped drinking alcohol a year ago (I'm 23), I had serious anxiety with severe panic disorder and used alcohol as a relief for my anxiety, I was depended on it and it worked for a year or two but then it got out of control and I started having serious negative effects. It came to the point I was putting alcohol in a water bottle and drinking the whole day including in class, my tolerance grew more and more. It came to a point I was vomiting everyday and one day I woke up to a massive withdrawal and this is where I knew it was the end really so I decided to seek help

I had many close friends and group of friends with who I used to go out and of course at this age have a drink. However; when I stopped drinking on a personal matter things got much better but in regards to my friends I have lost a lot of contacts and friendships because I would find an excuse to not go out to the bar or club, I kept on giving excuses so it came to the point they thought I was ignoring them, , it is quite sad that I have to give an "excuse" for not drinking, what has happened to our world?

Because I stress on my excuse I tend to avoid going out with friends and j end up alone, it is hard to find people in their twenties not drinking when going out even though I would love to go for a nice dinner or do other activities that do not have to involve drinking. Whether going out with a guy a girl or just a group of friends it always involves alcohol and I am starting to get stressed on how to deal with this situation even before meeting up with someone. Whenever I see young people drinking and having fun as a group I tend to get depressed and sad that this type of situation happened to me at such a young age and now I feel completely lost. I can't believe I am 23 and this all happened to me when others my age are enjoying it, that's what hurts me.

The problem is everything involves drinking nowadays and I don't want to lose friends as well but I do not want to be open about my past problems. What would you do in a similar situation? I would love to hear your advice and experiences as well if you had similar ones!

Thank you

Posted: June 19, 2016, 3:42 PM
I am 49 and I have dealt with the same thing for several years now, but I have found a new way to progress and have real heartfelt friends struggling, some that still struggle with this alcohol addiction and some whom are living day by day with out alcohol (still addicts and always will be). It is Alcoholics Anonymous AA. I had a hard time at first accepting the fact that I am allergic to alcohol and it was really gonna kill me but now Im around ppl who understand and and truly care. U don't have to give ur friends up, invite them so they can understand and you will gain many new ones. That is where you begin. It is the best thing I ever did. I am grateful for ppl who understand my addiction.

--------------------
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7[COLOR=blue]
post replypost new topic