post replypost new topic
Just Starting Out

Posted: September 25, 2014, 3:32 PM
I am only days away from giving up alcohol. I have to do it this time for many reasons. It is hard to say goodbye though and it is going to be a very hard struggle. I would love to hear from other people regarding how they did it and what was the thing that triggered the change.
doglove

Posted: September 25, 2014, 5:26 PM
Hi Julianne,

Welcome. I'm pretty new here too but have been able to face some previously rough anniversaries without making a slip due to the focus and help of the program and members. I faced the 10 year anniversary of my mom's death for the first time sober and the anniversary of my husband's affair for the first time sober. Typically these anniversaries were triggers for me. I also went to Napa for work and didn't take one sip, which was easier than I thought but I'm not going to take it for granted.

What made me stop was how i felt about myself and how it was effecting me. I'm in a fairly high pressure job with a lot of travel and i had not come to the point that i jeapordized it, yet. I didn't like waking up wondering what I had done the night before and trying to piece the parts together; I hated that I manipulated my husband so I could have one more sip (example: hey, I forgot x at the store, can you run and get it? Hey, can you move the wash into the dryer so I can fold before bed?, Do you want to go get the mail with the dog?); I started having panic attacks at work, at the same time - 11/noon, that I realized were directly connected to too much the night before. I just didn't like myself much any more.

Right now I'm only 20 days but I feel better mentally, physically and emotionally, sometimes. The emotion piece has been tough as I find things bubble up and I'm not sure what to do with them. I have two things from the big book that I do religiously...I wake every morning and ask that my thoughts be directed in the righ place and that I do the good I'm supposed to and not take on the ill of others and when I go to bed I pray that I've done my best, I realize any pieces I've not kept my side of the street clean and I try to make up for that. These have been two things that keep me grounded.

I hope you find your path.

Best always, Dog

Posted: September 25, 2014, 6:02 PM
Hi Julianne. this is my second time around at recovery.. the first time I gave it up because I was losing my family, my health was failing and I was sick and tired of coming to instead of waking up,and sick and tired of the blackouts and the fighting and the craving for more and the shakes , I could go on and on.. I lasted for 19 months before going back to alcohol. The second time I gave it up I was a binge drinker and also for the same reasons as the first time only the last time It almost cost me my life. I went to a treatment center, when I got out I practiced the program of AA ,did the steps and continue to do the work that is required for me to stay sober.. so far it has worked . I have been sober for over 4 years. you can do it if you really want it.

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: October 29, 2014, 2:26 AM
hello!

i'm about 2 days alcohol free, and i hope it will stay last. for me, the only one trigger me to change is my family. i can't stand any tears again. i will do my very best to be sober and keep my family proud of me.

Posted: November 8, 2014, 7:22 PM
Hello for me it is simply I'm sick of being sick all the time.
I'm sick of being the first one at the liquor store in the morning.
I'm sick of the fear of running out of alcohol.
I'm sick of the disconnection it brings between myself and my bf and family
I'm sick of the way I LOOK
I'm sick of not being able to move without that first drink and then lately not even being able to move period for 8 days....
Simply I guess...I'm SICK of BEING sick - on Day 2.
I had been sober 8 years till last November....I have been drinking almost daily since last November.
post replypost new topic