post replypost new topic
I'm New And Need Help.

Posted: September 20, 2014, 8:06 PM
Hi, im new to this. I feel like chat would help me more than meetings because I'm more likely to participate. I'm embarrassed to go to meetings fearing i may see someone i know. I do need help. Alcohol is taking my life. I drink every few days to the point of sickness each time swearing to never do it again. Today i fought the urge hard and won but i worry about tomorrow.

Posted: September 21, 2014, 6:21 AM
hi guest welcome to the board..Try stepchat.com there are meetings there.good luck

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: September 21, 2014, 7:20 AM
Ty very much.

Posted: September 22, 2014, 8:57 AM
I like to see new people come in and immediately demand their independence and how incredibly different they are. Reminds me of my own contempt and arrogance when I first got here. Preconceptions, pride, egotism... Terminal Uniqueness is what they told me. When I was embarrassed more about pissing myself, or crapping myself, or vomiting at all the wrong times, or unable to hold down solid foods, or being drunk at all the wrong times, or hiding out all by myself in fear of the world, I became willing to take suggestions. Until then no amount of physician's advice, psychiatric advice, meds, geographic changes, job changes, booze combinations, or pill packs would have convinced me that my life wasn't a normal one.

If you want to drink, that's your business. If you want to quit, AA can help. If you think you're different, that your pride is not going to kill you, that you can drink just one or two, then go ahead and try it. Try stopping for a year, too. If you're an alcoholic, those convictions will be gone within the week--month on the outside. You may even have more conviction to try it again, too.

Nobody likes the necessary humility at depth and lifestyle changes to getting and staying sober, but when the choices come down to the pain of continuing into the gates of insanity or death, the pain of getting sober makes a lot more sense than the insanity of doing the same thing expecting different results. Ask me how I know.

This post has been edited by skg on September 22, 2014, 10:05 AM

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.

Posted: September 28, 2014, 6:12 PM
Hi! No need to be embarrassed to see someone you know at a meeting, alcoholism is a disease. I would go to a program if you can, even outpatient to get support before AA. I did and it has made a difference. Good luck.....and remember, one day at a time.

Posted: September 29, 2014, 4:09 PM
Hi! I spent some time talking to folks here and getting my feet wet (ha! little drinking joke!) before I got up the nerve to go to AA. It's an amazing step just acknowledging you have the problem. We all do too, so we understand you!

Talk with us here. Read through old threads. And before long I bet you'll be brave enough to visit a meeting.

Don't be afraid of SKG. :) He's our resident curmudgeon and also one of the wisest and most dedicated posters here. Thankfully, he finally convinced me to go to a meeting and I've been sober for almost 5 1/2 years thanks to that move.

Just stick with us, don't give up, and don't run away. If I've done this, you can too!

Welcome!
ihallhou

Posted: December 11, 2014, 12:38 PM
I just want to warmly welcome the new user who posted. Ignore the people who immediately criticized you for reaching out for help here. I hope you are able to find what you need to put that drink down and start healing. There's a lot of anger and other crap to sort through on here, but if you do a little sifting, you'll find what you need. Don't forget, there is a lot of sickness in a group about sobriety, so don't take it personally if you get angry or unhelpful remarks. Keep reaching out - it could save your life.

Posted: December 11, 2014, 4:26 PM
There's a lot of anger and other crap to sort through on here
You're right, and your crap and anger is just as welcome as ours. :) We are a group of people that would otherwise not mix, except for the desperation of addiction to alcohol.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
post replypost new topic