post replypost new topic
Having Trouble Finding An Hp?

Posted: July 16, 2014, 6:11 PM

If anyone having a trouble finding or believing in an HP maybe this might help..

Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. On the left side list all you were taught, or all you believe what God is. If you have no idea, then write down the word "Nothing." On the right side list what you want God to be for you, (best friend, loving. trustful, forgiving, non-judgmental, or whatever you like). When you are done, tear it down the middle, from top to bottom, and throw away the left side. You are now left with a God of your understanding; one you will feel comfortable praying to...taken from http://thesponsorsaide.org/step2.htm

[I]We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. Do I now believe, or am I willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself? As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built. Alcoholics Anonymous

This post has been edited by pirate on July 16, 2014, 6:11 PM

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: July 17, 2014, 8:43 AM
I like it. I heard a speaker one time ask the question: What would God have to be in order for you to let Him love you?

Well. That put a new spin on things!

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.

Posted: July 17, 2014, 12:09 PM
Excellent, pirate .. Thank you !!

Bob

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: July 19, 2014, 4:23 PM
I like this Pirate. I always 'believed' in God, even when I was drinking but I just didn't feel that he believed much in me. I felt that all the bad/sad stuff that happened to me was because something was wrong with me and that I didn't deserve much better. What would God have to be for me to let him love me skg? Forgiving, Loving, Understanding, Accepting - kind of like a parent who wants only the best for me. It's good that I don't have to let my old ideas of a judgemental, unforgiving, intolerant God who turns folk into pillars of salt when they cross him get in the way anymore. The God I was taught about is different to the God I re-discovered through the pain of alcoholism. God came though the wound and lucky for me he likes me just the way I am - warts and all.
post replypost new topic