post replypost new topic
Thank God For Aa And Sobriety

Posted: July 16, 2014, 2:07 AM
HI all
I haven't posted in ages....just wanted to give you all a quick update of my life.

So late last year I decided to quit my part-time job and go fulltime into business and also buy another business. This I did, and the same week that I took over the business my husband of 22 years and I separated as he was "no longer committed to the marriage". This was the first week of Jan 2014.

So there I was with no savings - all invested in business, virtually no income as he was supposed to help support me while I grew the business and a marriage breakup to deal with as well as trying to run new business.

As a result of all this I lost my home and had to move into a dumpy one room flat. The day after I moved my beloved Ming (my cat) who I'd had to give to my Aunt and Uncle as I couldn't keep him went into renal failure and almost died. He is still hanging in but we don't know for how long.

A few months after the sepearation I found out my husband had been cheating for 3 months before we split up - he let me go ahead and leave my job and invest in the business knowing he was cheating and that the you know what was about to hit the fan.

To say it has been a traumatic year would be an understatement. The stress of the separation and sorting out all the financial settlment and lawyers and everything as well as losing the relationship, and dealing with all the verbal and emotional abuse from him, and losing my home has been awful. My ex has taken up with another drinker (he is also an alcoholic still drinking).

Oh yeah and my Grandma has been deteriorating all year with dementia as well.

As well with the prolonged stress I got really sick this winter and am just now recovering, its taken nearly 6 weeks for me to get well.

I am not telling you all this for sympathy but to share my experience, that it is possible to get through ANYTHING with trust in God, and the AA program. Not once through all this did the thought of a drink even cross my mind. In fact it was the furtherest thing from my mind. It was a battle I simply did not have to fight or even worry about. I thanked God many many times that I had knuckled down and done the steps properly when I first got sober. I don't think I would have got through this if I hadn't done that earlier work and learned how to put my trust in God.

And God has not let me down. Slowly, some good things have come into my life this year. I have met someone, a kind, generous, loving man and we are slowly developing a healthy relationship together. A relationship that is based on honesty, trust and putting the other person's needs first.

I have also been offered some opportunities just within the last few weeks that will help to relieve some of the day to day financial pressure I am under although it will be several years before I am able to get back on my feet financially again.

Also, on my 5th birthday my old sponsor who I'd had a bit of a falling out with 2 years ago contacted me again and we have re-established our relationship on a new and deeper level and I'm so grateful to have her in my life again.

Also, during the year I found a new sponsor as I'd been without one for a while, and I've been enjoying establishing a relationship with her, and getting her quite different perspective on things.

It has been such an unbelievable struggle, but slowly day by day I am getting through it. About 6 weeks ago I celebrated 5 years sober!!! Not my doing, but thanks to an all powerful and all loving God.

So that is my story - I can say from personal experience that the AA program definately is a design for living in rough going. It does work. Without it I would not have got through the last 8 months, I would have had a breakdown and been in a mental ward.

I am finding it difficult to find contentment, serenity and happiness, but not impossible. I do still experience those things, not as often as I would like. I am struggling to stay in the day, I keep projecting into the future a lot. But I am aware of all of this, and I am using the tools as best I can. Each week has been a little better than the one before.

I post this to give hope to anyone who is struggling. No matter what difficulties you are facing, you can get through them if you trust in your God and you can stay sober too.
Idgie

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.

Posted: July 16, 2014, 8:35 AM
Awesome. It DOES work, doesn't it?
I am so glad to hear the REST of the story, too. You're sober. You're relying on Him. You're life is being rebuilt AROUND Him as the center.
Thanks for checking back--I always wonder what happens to folks once they leave. Glad you are making it through, one day at a time...
~hugs~

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.

Posted: July 16, 2014, 9:06 AM
Thanks for sharing! WOW Congrats on 5 years!!!

Posted: July 16, 2014, 1:35 PM
Hi Idgie it is great to see you again! Congratulations on 5 years. You sure have had difficult times but you are using it to help others by telling your story and letting them know that we can come through difficult painful times without a drink if we work the program and use the tools.you are an inspiration and I am glad that things seem to be working out for you... Life doesn't have to be perfect to be good and you have found a way to have a good life. Thank you for sharing your story and as I said it is great to see you and to know you are doing well! .. hugsssssssssssss

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: July 17, 2014, 1:14 AM
good to hear from you guys. Nice to still see some familiar names, as well as new names of course!!

Am re-learning everything! Right now the biggie for me is trying to stay in the day. I have had to go right back to those early sobriety tools. One day, one hour at a time. Its amazing how quickly those old bad habits can come back if we let them. For me, its trying to run the show myself. i get peace when I truly hand it over to God and LEAVE it with him!!

Going to sit by the window in the sun for a few minutes now and just BE.
Love
Idgie

--------------------

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.

Posted: July 17, 2014, 1:15 AM
BTW Pirate - thanks for what you wrote.

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be good...

I really like that, I am going to hang on to that one...thanks again

--------------------

post replypost new topic