|
PRIVACY
|
RECOMMEND A RESOURCE
|
HOME

Does The Craving Ever Go Away?
Posted: March 13, 2013, 2:27 AM

Hi . I have been an alcoholic for about 13 years. It recently got really out of control. Ive always drank at night to help me fall asleep but over the years it turned to basically drinking 24 hours. I am 3 days sober. Due to lack of funds I kinda weened myself off this time so my WD werent so bad. I have also been addicted to Heroin and xanax for the past 7 months.
About a month ago I was at a friends and wanted to get clean and the WD were terrible. Much worse then this time around cause I really thought i was gonna die.
Anyhow, I just want to know from anyone if the craving for alcohol ever goes away?? I dont crave the heroin so much its really just alcohol. I think cause alcohol is legal and available everywhere as opposed to the pain of going into the city to get Heroin is why I might crave it more..Idk. I'm just terrified of facing the world, my life, without drugs and alcohol.
Anyone have some words of wisdom?
Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:03 AM

Welcome, Hopeful820 and congrats on 3 days--that's huge!

There's a book called, "Alcoholics Anonymous," that you can buy discreetly that may shed some light on the problem--certainly helped me understand what my problem was. I'd drink to shut the voices off in my head--those craving thoughts of desperation and, "This time things will be different," that would invade my brain when I wasn't drinking, as well as the thoughts of "How in the world did I get here again?" after drinking to excess for whatever length of time. Damned if I did, damned if I didn't. Totally powerless over the stuff once I'd have the first drink--and "toughing it out" never worked because those voices just got louder.

What I have is a disease. I can't drink, but I can't stop thinking about drinking, so I drink.

After I had tried everything else, and I mean Every. Last. Thing (and think), I found myself silently screaming for a way out--and the idea of AA was NOT my first choice.

Keep coming back here and ask all the questions you need to in order to find a way to get and stay sober. You have friends here you don't even know yet.

S

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:45 AM

AA Big Book online http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_..._tableofcnt.cfm

yup, I tried everything to beat this alcoholism and it wasn't until i surrendered to AA that I could get sober and stay sober.

The question isn't "Does the craving go away?" but "Is there a treatment for this disease that is killing me". The answer is Yes to both.

AA not only got me sober and has kept me sober for nearly 24 yrs but through the !2 Steps has shown me how to address all the physical/emotional/mental/spiritual issues in me that made drinking/drugging so attractive.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
....but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989 ... working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... at the moment I am between meetings.

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
Posted: March 13, 2013, 11:25 AM

HI Hopeful. welcome. yes the cravings will go away. . you will find support and understanding here .In the meantime look for ingredients in products and food you are using.. those containing alcohol should be avoided. Also anything that is labelled as extract such as vanilla extract.. and also some medications especially mood altering meds and sleeping pills... AA has been my saving Grace.. I also attended a treatment center . today I have 2 and a half years of sobriety.. There is life after addiction... there is a solution... I send you understanding ,encouragement and support . I also send you HOPE and to let you know that it can be done. I and many others are living proof.. Recovery is not easy but living in addiction is not easy either and one thing is certain and that is recovery has a LOT MORE TO OFFER than addiction does... YOU are worth it and YOU are capable of doing it... God bless and keep coming back

This post has been edited by pirate on March 13, 2013, 11:31 AM

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need
Posted: March 13, 2013, 1:30 PM

Welcome Hopeful820,

Glad you found us. To answer your original question, yes, the cravings went away for me once I finally asked my HP for help & started taking action to stay sober.

You're among friends here. Keep coming back.
Take care,
Stacey

--------------------
Happiness is not in the bottom of a pill bottle. It's inside you.
island
Posted: March 13, 2013, 2:28 PM

Hey hopeful send me an e mail I am in early recovery also . I can help you.... my e mail address is cavellfudge107@hotmail.com
Sven
Posted: March 20, 2013, 10:04 AM

Hi friend, do not give up hope that cravings will end! I was a 35 year drinker, and like most, had some of my worst experiences on alcohol. When I finally quit, which was by myself, I had a period where my left hand did not know what my right hand was doing. Coming down from the addiction, when I did stop, I was full of myself and was conquering the world, and for nine months things went smoothly, though I had no clue why I even wanted to quit other than I had enough with the bad experiences. I then hit a low point with some other life issues, and hit the bottle again for a couple of months. One day, after swishing straight vodka out of a bottle, I spit it out and said, "enough". I had that moment of clarity, that the abuse had to stop, for many reasons, and it did. I did not go to any rehab or AA meetings, I just knew in my mind my relationship with alcohol was over. I have had no cravings since, and that has been several years.

If I can impart any wisdom, I would say that one has to come to terms with oneself as opposed to drinking. As stated here and elsewhere, addiction is both physical and emotional, or physiological, so bear in mind the physical is fairly easy to address, just focus on a nutrient rich diet, and perhaps consider neural entrainment. The other, the emotional, takes a lot more work. That work, in the end, was the most rewarding. For me, it was like AA on steroids, because the self analysis came natural and I sought the directions important and relevant for me to move forward and not live "in-recovery". Do know sobriety will be more satisfying and sustaining than any alcohol could ever provide. It is truly a gift of freedom. God bless.
Posted: March 24, 2013, 4:53 AM

Hi hopeful
I can only give you my experience. I struggled with cravings for several years and was unable to muster the will to stay sober because the obsession to drink was too powerful.

Finally on total despair I completely surrendered, admitted my total powerlessness over alcohol and sincerely begged for help. The craving and obsession were removed that night and have never returned to this day....all praise to God.

That was about 3 years and 9 months ago. I learned to live without alcohol by going to aa meetings and living the program of aa which is the twelve steps. That is what has worked for me.

So keep the hope hopeful, my story is not unique, I know of many others who have had the cravings disappear, sometimes immediately like me, with others it happened gradually over time.
Good luck to you.
Idgie

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.
Jim
Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:32 AM

Yes it does go away , but your addiction wont so don't get complacent . I have been sober 12 years . hang in there what you find is the cravings become less intense and eventually you become distracted by putting the pieces of your life back together and realise whole days have gone by without you thinking about alcohol . One good piece of advice for dealing with cravings is to focus on how they feel I know it sound silly but when you do this they loose their power and become less intense . Good luck and ride the lightning
  top of page  Top