|
RECOMMEND A RESOURCE
|
HOME

What If You Are Not An Alcoholic?
I am not an alcoholic
Posted: March 12, 2012, 1:43 PM

hi,

I don't know what to do. I am 100% not an alcoholic. Zip, nadda, nothing, zero percent on a scale from 0- 1 million precent.

I am an athlete and believe in discipline and self-control. How can this be happening to me? Getting treatment is beyond the highest levels of stupidity.

Why do people who can't control themselves force their will onto others who have made past mistakes?

Is there a difference between having a disease and not being able to control yourself and society not trusting you can control yourself? i.e. if you got a DUI we don't trust you?

Posted: March 13, 2012, 7:07 AM

There is a difference between being a heavy drinker and an alcoholic. If you are not an alcoholic then you shouldn't have any problems stopping drinking if drinking is causing you problems in your life.

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

user posted image
Posted: March 13, 2012, 12:44 PM

What do you want to do about what?

Did you get a DUI? Do you think this now labels you as an alcoholic? Plenty of people who just drink sociably get DUI's and aren't alcoholics, they just drank too much.

If you can control your drinking, then you're golden. If you want to go out and give that a try, get back to us and let us know how that worked for you...

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.
Posted: March 13, 2012, 1:09 PM

If you're pissed because you got a DUI and have to attend court-ordered AA or some other alcohol awareness program, then tough noogies for you. So you are not an alcoholic...too bad that you have to own the consequences of your actions anyway, and if those consequences are meeting attendance, then that's life. You don't have to label yourself or accept the labels others stick on you, but you do have to accept the court order.

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image
Posted: March 13, 2012, 5:19 PM

I don't believe I have seen a person post here that wasn't an alcoholic in the progressive stages.
You may be the first... good luck.

Bob

--------------------
--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
....but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989 ... working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... at the moment I am between meetings.

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
Posted: March 15, 2012, 2:04 PM

I have a question, why are you here?

--------------------
Happiness is not in the bottom of a pill bottle. It's inside you.
Posted: March 16, 2012, 12:35 PM

Good question Stacey..I was only guessing. He/She didn't say they got a DUI.

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.
Posted: April 11, 2012, 9:32 AM

"Now and then a serious drinker, being dry at the moment says, "I don't miss it at all.  Feel Better.  Work better.  Having a better time."  As ex-problem drinkers, we smile at such a sally.  We know our friend is like a boy whistling in the dark to keep up his spirits.  He fools himself.  Inwardly he would give anything to take half a dozen drinks and get away with them.  He will presently try the old game again, for he isn't happy about his sobriety.  He cannot picture life without alcohol.  Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it.  Then he will know lonneliness such as few do.  He will be at the jumpin-off place.  He will wish for the end."  pp 152, Alcoholics Anonymous, $th Ed.
Who are you trying to convince? Sort of like running into a monastary to announce that you're not a sinner, isn't it?

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
  top of page  Top