post replypost new topic
The 12 Steps

Posted: September 18, 2009, 8:49 AM
What are the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous? can i go throught it on ARG, without going to AA meetings?

Posted: September 18, 2009, 10:16 PM
The Success Stories forum doesn't allow people to post replies, so we are moving your thread to the alcohol board. ARG doesn't work the steps with people, but there are many people here working the steps who can answer your questions.

- the moderators

Posted: September 19, 2009, 6:09 AM
Gidday Tracey

There are links to AA sites available on a post somewhere here and one of the more savvy posters may know how to do it or bump the post etc
Also go and buy a AA Big Book or the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions which is AA as well
Try looking into where your closest AA meeting is and either call and enquire about books or maybe even someone to talk with or the possibility of a meeting

light and love Zac

--------------------
Endless Hope can be found when I am ready for acceptance mixed with spirituality and ask for the courage to change.

Posted: September 19, 2009, 10:54 AM
There are very few people who have successfully worked the steps long distance, however, there are some. Face-to-Face (F2F) sponsorship is essential. Tell us how much effort you've put into finding AA meetings nearby?
Web-based recovery is possible, but (as with any program) the effort is up to you. Ask Ruth (from Ireland) who posts here and decide if it will work for you. Same-sex sponsorship is the rule, too.

If you want to recover, Tired, don't let anything or anyone stand in your way.

Peaceness.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.

Posted: September 19, 2009, 5:06 PM
Tired if at all possible do the program and the steps F2F . Take if from someone who has struggled to stay afloat in the AA program through phone and internet. The times I have been to "real" meetings and talked face to face with people far exceeded anything what a forum board can offer. This board is a very useful tool and has kept me sober many a day but there is nothing like the real thing. As skg said don't let nothing or no one stand in your way of achieving sobriety and the life you want. hugssssssssssssssssss

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: September 22, 2009, 1:21 AM
Thank you for your speedy responses, i really find this website very useful. Thing is, i am from a very small town called Groblersdal in South Africa and people around here, know nothing about alcoholism, to them it is an acceptable norm, and there is no way you can approach someone, without them judging you. Hence there are no AA gatherings. I rely mostly on the internet to get more knowledge about this condition. I would appreciate it if i can have someone from ARG that i can interact with or a possible link where i can download helpful materials about how to completely quit alcohol(any suggestions?). I am gr8ful for having you guys...

Thank You,

Posted: September 22, 2009, 8:02 AM
Hi Tired
If you google älcoholics anonymous you will find the AA site, a lot of the AA book is on the site and you can probably find where to order the book. You can also buy AA CD's that have speakers and it is almost like being at a meeting.

There are online meetings as well - just google all the key words and you will find them.

There are people who can take you through the steps online - its not as good as face to face but its a whole lot better than nothing and if you are willing and honest that is what you really need.

Keep posting - google those keywords and let us know what you find.

Keep posting, don't pick up the first drink - we are here for you.
idgie

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.

Posted: September 22, 2009, 10:30 AM

Hi Tired,

Here's the book that was recommended to me when I first found this site and I found not only did it change my life but millions of others also recovered from that hopeless state of mind & body from alcoholism....One thing I've found for me is I am never cured but if I do certain things, I never have to pick up a drink again and in turn, I've found a wonderful life in recovery.....

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=359
Alcoholics Anonymous aka The Big Book

Keep coming back...
xoxo
Stacey

--------------------
Happiness is not in the bottom of a pill bottle. It's inside you.

Posted: September 22, 2009, 4:29 PM
Daily Reflections Online

Spiritual Resources, books, principles, etc.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

Big Book (online)

Promises

AA online

Humility the AA Way

Forgiveness and Love

AA Grapevine online

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
post replypost new topic