post replypost new topic
Pms And Alcohol Cravings

Posted: May 19, 2008, 7:36 AM
Hey girls did you know that PMS is a big risk factor for slips in addiction recovery.?Studies have proven this. I have been reading up on some material on pms and alcohol cravings. I had asked my therapist about it too cause it seems to me at about that time every month is when I get the cravings . She had said research has shown that there is a connection between estrogen and the cravings for alcohol.Also because of the estrogen it takes longer for alcohol to leave a womans body than it does a man and the effects tend to stay longer. I know when I was drinking I tended to consume more booze at that time of month than other days.Do any of you have anything to add to this post that would benefit us females. Tips or advice on how to lessen the symptoms of both pms and the cravings which seem to go together for a lot of us each month? (Wonder what advice we will get from Zac if he reads this post LOL). Take care all . have a great sober and pms free day.

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: May 19, 2008, 8:46 AM
Doesn't matter. We don't drink no matter how bitchy we get <G>
smooches

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Posted: May 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
Thats why Baches/ cribs/ cabins were invented and they changed a couple of letters when naming them as Baches in NZ...so ive heard:)

light and love zac

--------------------
Endless Hope can be found when I am ready for acceptance mixed with spirituality and ask for the courage to change.

Posted: May 19, 2008, 1:00 PM
Hey girls did you know that PMS is a big risk factor for slips in addiction recovery.?Studies have proven this.

and I'm pretty sure woman pms'ing is a major reason why men slip in their recovery !

--------------------
My worst day sober is better than my best day drunk !

Posted: May 19, 2008, 3:50 PM
GEOFFREYYYYYYYY.!!!!!!..................remember no blame game (lol)

--------------------

Posted: May 19, 2008, 6:02 PM
I must be strange but I was the total opposite, I used to go off the drink when I got pms, it made me feel worse, but as is always the way I drank anyway and felt awful... but I kept on doing it...!

--------------------
"Dream as though you'll live forever... Live as though you'll die today." - James Dean...

"You can't put your arms around a memory" - Johnny Thunders

Posted: May 20, 2008, 3:56 PM
I never noticed a correlation. Of course at that time I would have used any ole excuse to pick up a cocktail. Bitchy, happy, sad, tired, etc.etc.

--------------------
Live In Blessings Not Blame.
Your Inner Peace Begins With Sobriety.

Valarie :-)

Posted: May 21, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yup for sure.
Anytime I screwed up in recovery was always at that time. PMS from hell!
It ain't easy being a woman :)

Posted: May 21, 2008, 6:03 PM
Gidday All

Can i kill it!!!!......Can it kill me!!!!!......Can i have sex with it!!!!.......yep it is really hard being a man.....LMAO

light and love zac

--------------------
Endless Hope can be found when I am ready for acceptance mixed with spirituality and ask for the courage to change.

Posted: May 22, 2008, 5:50 AM
Hi pirate
I have noticed that too but for me I've noticed that my period pains and cramps are much reduced when sober from when I was drinking. That gives me incentive if I get a craving during those times.

I don't know the reason - maybe being so dehydrated contributed to the bad period pains.

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.

Posted: May 23, 2008, 3:16 PM
Ya think! When I was in OP Re-hab, one of the groups I was in our counselor nearly a 20 yr. AA member would have us write down, or discuss how we 'd feel. I brought this up and he said it's a very real physiological change and can be severe for some woman. During that time my estrogen levels would peak, then drastically and quickly drop. At this time I drank the most as my physical anxiety was at it's all time high. Also effecting my emotional, mental attitude. The cravings were at a 10.

The program was not centered around AA philosophy. The model was Motivational Interviewing. However he always managed to slip AA jargon in. We learned and practiced mindfulness. Being aware of the signals your mind and body are sending. Where and why they are happening. We learned deep breathing, body surfing, being tuned into our surroundings and ourselves. Being aware of our thoughts and feelings. Checking on them to see how real they were, CBT. Distorted thinking and calling it out. Challenging them. We learned imagery, stretching exercises as well. I'm sure I'm leaving things out.

Now I just accept and know whats happening to me during those few days. Just being in tune with my body and mind makes it not so important. I also took this class called the journey. Our facilitator used to be a chaplain in the woman's prison here. She helped the woman get along better by telling them they were all in a different season. One was in Spring happy, Summer still fairly happy, Fall not so happy, Winter not happy. She said it helped them, basically to not want to kill each other.

I just ride it out not placing to much emphasize on it, knowing it will pass. I seem to eat more chocolate, as magnesium is being depleted. Breathing stretching, music, lighting candles. Being good to me.

After all PMS really is Putting Up With Men's Stupidity anyway. OK, I'm kidding boys, sorta.

Today and just for today we don't drink no matter what. Even if our A***"s falls off. Or even if were crazy little B****'s. Because we are so darn good the rest of the time. lol.

--------------------
There is no failure except in no longer trying.
Elbert Hubbard

Posted: May 23, 2008, 3:45 PM
Looking up I loved your post lol. I am not male bashing here just having a little fun. Have you ever noticed that everything aggravating in a woman's life begins with Men

Men struation
Men opause
Men tal illnes

sorry men couldn't resist that one

--------------------

Posted: May 23, 2008, 3:52 PM
Oh yes, I've noticed! LMAO!

--------------------
There is no failure except in no longer trying.
Elbert Hubbard
Jen

Posted: November 15, 2016, 1:11 PM
It's the sugar you're craving and the emotional instability makes you feel the need to escape. Keep track and know your body. Reach out and be accountable. Call sponsor and go to meetings. Talk about it. Reach out. Thanks for letting me share.
post replypost new topic