post replypost new topic
Otrivine Withdrawal

Posted: March 22, 2016, 2:42 PM
Hi all,
Last night I decided to try and kick my addiction of otrivine. It's been a long time coming. I've been using it for 10 years now. I use at least 1 bottle per week. I have always suffered with my sinuses, infections, pain and allergies. I've had tests but they're all come back normal. I've tried Vicks nasal spray and many other nasal sprays but to no avail. They didn't work. A friend of mine recommended that I buy otrivine and it gave me the best relief ever. I could breathe normally again. Of course 10 years ago they didn't give out warnings not to use it longer than 7 days. I've only been hearing that warning here in Ireland in the past year, too late then, I was hooked. I couldn't go anywhere without a bottle and I carried spares in my bag and in the car, God forbid I forgot it. I have been thinking for a long time of how I'm going to stop. So yesterday I put how to stop otrivine addiction into a Google search and up came this forum. After reading all the posts on this thread, btw thanks for sharing, I'm going to use the one nostril at a time method. I'm going to keep a diary on this thread to hopefully help other sufferers in their recovery of otrivine.
I'm starving the left nostril first as I think this will be the hardest for me as I sleep on my left side. Once I can breathe normally thought that nostril I will move on to the right one, should take anywhere from 3-7 days for the first one to unblock.
Day 1
I woke up this morning at 8. My left nostril was completely blocked, with my right not far behind. I sprayed one measured dose into the right and got relief after a minute.
By 10.30 my left side was still blocked so I took a sudafed tablet and off I went to work. I found driving bad as I felt very closed in as I couldn't breathe properly. Had to turn on the air conditioning in 7 degree temps!!!
By 11.30 the tablet kicked in and I could breathe normally out of my untreated nostril. This continued until 3pm and then both nostrils blocked up, used otrivine in right side
3.15pm took another sudafed tablet, 45mins later I was breathing normally.
7.30pm and the sinus pain started but only on the left side. It's was bearable, but now it's just past 10pm and the pain seems to be getting progressively worse. I'm going to take an actifed tablet now and go to bed. Hopefully I will sleep. Will update tomorrow

Posted: March 22, 2016, 7:21 PM
Hi all,
Day 2
I eventually got to sleep last night with one nostril blocked, the sinus pain was eased by lying my face on a hot water bottle, and by taking another actifed tablet.
Woke up blocked in both nostrils so took one spray of otrivine in the right nostril. Once I had a shower, I think washing your hair may help, my nose was unblocked for most of the day but I did have to take a sudafed tablet around 3pm! My sinus on the left feel weird, it feels like there's something really heavy stuck there, I guess it's swelling!! Haven't felt that way in years cause the otrivine took that feeling away. I'm hoping I'll return to normal breathing soon and I haven't done any lasting damage from abusing this cursed drug for 10 years.
Tonight I'm blocked up, why is night time always worse? But I'm so glad I am pain free tonight
I'm going to see how I wake up tomorrow and I might make the decision to stop the otrivine altogether, but if I'm still blocked up I may wait another few days to stop. I don't want to rush it, I'm doing it one day at a time.
Thanks for reading and I really hope someone gets something from my recovery.

Posted: March 23, 2016, 5:30 PM
Hello all,
Day 3
It's been a s***ty day. My nose didn't feel to bad. Felt the same as yesterday, My sinus feels tight, I can't stop touching and trying to stretch the area around my eye socket. Spoke to the pharmacist today and she told me that my sinus is swelling because it's been starved of otrivine but the symptoms should be better in up to 7 days.
I really wanted to spray the otrivine up my nostril today., just to get that lovelyfeeling of relief. I must of picked it up at least 8 times, but thank god I didn't or I'd be back where I started. Last night I wrote that I would try starving the other nostril today but my other nostril is not cured yet. Some may ask why I'm doing it this way. It's for pure selfish reasons really. I am a single parent with 2 young kids and I also work. I believe that if I quit cold turkey that I wouldn't be able to sleep in the night. I certainly need my sleep to function in all aspects of my life. Please if your reading this post say a little prayer for me.
For anyone on otrivine please don't be scared to quit, just take each day as it comes. Say the following " I won't use otrivine just for today" it works
I'll check in again tomorrow
Hope this post helps someone
Today:
Used otrivine 3 times in right nostril
Took 2 sudafed tablets
Did a sinus rinse recommend by the chemist
Plan on taking an actifed tablet b4 bed

Posted: March 25, 2016, 5:18 AM
Hi all,
So day 4 yesterday was brilliant it seems my sinus swelling has gone down. It's a different feeling of breathing then when you are using otrivine, but I know I just have to get used to it. I used 1 sudafed tablet and didn't feel the need to take anything last night. I actually had a good nights sleep, probably because I been exhausted. Getting off otrivine and working all day is pretty hard. I didn't bring any with me to work, missed having it there with me, weird or what. Anyway today is:
Day 5
I've stopped using otrivine altogether. My left nostril is completely blocked up this morning. But I know it's only 1 day and night of misery and a couple of days of not feeling good and then hopefully I will have kicked my dependency of otrivine. It's a long weekend here, so I have a few days without work and I know my kids will keep me busy.
I'll check in again, maybe tonight or else tomorrow. Hope you all have a great weekend

Posted: March 25, 2016, 5:44 PM
Hi all
Oh dear god I'm in the midst of withdrawal from this dependancy, stuffed-up nose and literally feeling as if I am suffocating and have excruciating pain all around my sinuses and also in my ear. I am really craving it right now, just a couple squirts up each nostril and WHAM I'd be able to breathe fully in a matter of minutes!
Not breathing through my nose doesn't seem like a big deal, but for me I feel like I'm losing my mind. I feel claustrophobic and that's making my anxiety hit the roof.
Though I feel like this is hell, I also feel so lucky that I threw away the bottle I had left, cause I think if I had right now I'd be using it.
I probably hadn't given my other nostril time to heal b4 I started the right one this morning, but hey I'm not going back I want to keep moving forward, and by sharing how I'm feeling is actually helping.
Today I've taken
3 sudafed tabs
1 actifed tabs(I plan another b4 sleep)
McNeil sinus rinse, not much help as it wouldn't come through my blocked nose
At present I'm lying on a hot water bottle
Also washed my hair in v hot water but got no relief

I know tomorrow will be better, I just wish tomorrow was now
Thanks for reading
Any replies or help would be gladly appreciated

Posted: March 26, 2016, 7:37 PM
Hi all,
So today was day 6 and a major breakthrough happened. I work up with no congestion, yippee. I've had an amazing day. I'm just happy that I've had the strength not to use otrivine, especially after the night I put in!! Christ it was hell on earth last night, anxiety was through the roof. I'm proud of myself to have got through it.
This evening I have some congestion, and by habit I keep reaching for the otrivine but it's no longer there. I guess this will ease in time.
I want to thank anyone here who has taken the time to read my posts and wish anyone giving up any addiction the best of luck. You can do it and may God be with ye all.
post replypost new topic