post replypost new topic
Secret Addiction
David

Posted: August 19, 2014, 6:54 PM
My name is David and I've been struggling with Nurofen Plus addiction for many years now although I am planning, once again, to stop taking them as I'm having pains in the left side of my chest and upper arm. This is very scary and I know it's due to taking these tablets. I have been taking them secretly over all the time I've been using them. I visit two chemists each day to buy Nurofen Plus and the the sulphodine max. I take 24 of the N+ and 30 of the Sulpodine Max as they have Paracetamol and Codine which can be mixed with the Ibuprofen and codine tables. Anyway I'm sick of having to buy them and having this horrible secret from my wife. I have found in the past that there are certain things that help when coming off these tablets. The first is to buy some Nytol related tablets for sleeping or contact your GP to get a short term script if possible of sleeping tablets. The second is to get a weeks worth of Valium to use when your feeling at your worst but be careful not to use them for the wrong reasons and get addicted to them instead. Thirdly is to keep busy doing small tasks in order to occupy your mind. Playing electronic games is a good distraction too. Fourthly is sitting in a sauna/steam room if you have one you can get to. Failing that a hot bath/shower helps to relax your body. Fifth is to do some low intensity exercise such as walking or doing light cardio at the gym. Fifthly is to take it one day at a time as getting through each day is a challenge. If you can confide in someone then tell them what you are doing and be accountable to them. Finally drink lots of fluids as it will wash the rubbish out of your system and shorten the withdrawal symptoms. Never ever give up. If you believe you can do it then you will however if you believe you can't then you won't. It's important you see yourself as drug free.

Posted: August 26, 2014, 3:25 PM
Hi,

Was just reading your post, all of what you are saying with the steps is the right ways. Hardest will be admitting your addiction to someone close whom can hold you accoubtable. Go see your gp he can guide you with knowing your health and what is safe. Mind set, if you believe and want to stop you will.

Have faith in the wanting to stop. I couldn't believe how once I changed what I was thinking how much easier stopping my addiction has been. I really wish you a safe recovery.
post replypost new topic