post replypost new topic
Nurofen Plus
Peter

Posted: May 21, 2014, 3:18 PM
Hi everybody,
My name is Peter, I'm 74 years of age,
After a hip replacement operation which went wrong and resulted in me having to have two more operations 2009 and 2010 to repair my broken bones below my hip down to my knee, I started to taken Nurofen Plus Ibuprofen 200 mg and Codeine 12.8 mg since the past tree years.

I found since the last 12 month the pain became stronger and have to use a walking stick most of the time, I take never more than maximum 6 tablets a day and that only very occasionally.
Most of the time I take one tablet in the morning before I get out of bed, because the pain is unbearable especially in the morning when I'm still in bed. I usually try to take no more than 2 to 3 a day.
Reading the messages on this Blog it scared me to know that Codeine is a form or Morphine and I want to stop taking them.
I have had some side effects which are itching and sudden break out of allergy, and also at times short of breath.
I recently had a comprehensive blood check and I was clear of any problems in my organs. Kidneys and Liver as well as heart good.

I am scared to take more tablets than I already do each day because I know it can damage my organs.
I still have pain after taking the 2 to 3 tablets daily, I am researching into Skin Stem cell treatments to help building my bones back stronger, my bones are prickle and in a bad shape due to also Cortisone intake daily to help keeping the eczema in control which I suffered with since I moved to Spain in 2002, I am on the way to reduce the cortisone daily intake of 12 mg and hope eventually be able to stop altogether but it will be a slow process, my skin has become very sensitive partly due to old age but mainly due to the cortisone which is also the cause that my bones are so prickle.
My question is, although I do not take many tablets per day I feel I must find an alternative pain killer with out Codeine which will help ease my daily pain, especially my lower back pain, can anybody give me any recommendation?
Thank you for reading this
I wish all you readers good luck and better health

Posted: May 26, 2014, 10:55 PM
Hi Peter,

It sounds like you've been through a lot, and that pain is something that you live with daily. I think finding a good pain management plan is top priority. Once you find the pain is at a manageable level, I think it will be easier to taper down from codeine painkillers. What has your doctor recommended as an alternative effective form of pain management? I think if you tried to quit or taper down now, that the pain alone would drive you back to taking them.

Take care, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ellen
post replypost new topic