post replypost new topic
Bath Salts

Posted: December 23, 2013, 3:25 PM

I wanted to share a new music video from an artist called Nate Connelly which deals with the controversial issue of Bath Salts abuse.
Bath Salts is the latest addition to a growing list of items that young people can obtain to get high. The synthetic powder is sold legally online and in drug paraphernalia stores worldwide under a variety of names, such as "Ivory Wave," "Purple Wave," "Red Dove," "Blue Silk," "Zoom," "Bloom," "Cloud Nine," "Ocean Snow," "Lunar Wave," "Vanilla Sky," "White Lightning," "Scarface," and "Hurricane Charlie." Because these products are relatively new to the drug abuse scene, our knowledge about their precise chemical composition and short- and long-term effects is limited, yet the information we do have is worrisome and warrants a proactive stance to understand and minimize any potential dangers to the health of the public.
Doctors and clinicians at U.S. poison centers have indicated that ingesting or snorting "bath salts" containing synthetic stimulants can cause chest pains, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, agitation, hallucinations, extreme paranoia, and delusions.
Watch the video here:
http://youtu.be/nYVQLdYIeq4
The video was made by Tim Porter and Stevie Rose-Blake.
Here is some background to the video from Tim:
'I wanted to present to an audience with a simple narrative which explored the transition of a user taking this drug. Grounding the piece as much possible with facts garnered from recent cases and the side effects of the drug itself, which, like all abused drugs, ultimately becomes the downfall of their consumers. And at no time should the music video be seen as an anti-drug campaign. It should simply be looked at as our interpretation of current events. It could be argued that, at times, we might have gone overboard, using nudity and violence as a tool of exploitation, however, I would recommend these people research the drug and view the online videos, from which most of our narrative was structured around. Since the advent of Reality TV, this obsession with the pursuit of overnight fame has become the downfall of society. The pursuit of more followers, the want to be acknowledged for being the most outrageous is irrelevant. The recent news story of Samantha Goudie aka “Vodka Sam”, who blew a .341 Blood Alcohol Content—more than four times the legal driving limit, when taking a breathalyzer. Her story went viral and her mug shot has since become thing of legend. She has been trumpeted as an internet hero for nearly dying through binge drinking. Need I say more?

What do you think of it? I love the song as well. Have any of you ever tried or been addicted to Bath Salts or maybe you know someone who has?

post replypost new topic