post replypost new topic
Codependency Issues

Posted: September 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
I have had codependency issues all my life which has caused me lots of relationship problems. I hope to find someone who can relate to this topic.
I am a only child and lived with strict parents. I have had 3 failed marriages and other bad relationhships.
I am living with my dad and taking care of him now.
I wish you all well and hope we can all deal with codependency issues better .
sandy

Posted: October 4, 2013, 11:32 PM
Hi there,

I don't want to give my email in a public forum but I have suffered what you are suffering all my life. Would love to talk to someone.

Posted: November 12, 2013, 11:19 AM
Your admission of being a codependent is powerful, but now you need to consider how to change it. I was always the dependent in our relationship, but have watched as my wife struggled with her issues, too.

She always thought I was the only one who needed counseling, until you went to a few Al-Anon meetings. She finally agreed to attend a few group sessions at the center where I had my treatment and that I was continuing to use for following counseling sessions. The changes in her confidence and self-esteem during the next year were remarkable.

Have you tried attending any Al-Anon or group sessions to explore your codependent behaviors?

Posted: November 20, 2013, 6:39 PM
Hi: Co dependence can be debilitating. People who grow up around addicts, abusive, and/or dysfunctional family members get this disease. The legacy of every addict is they take 7 people down with them and the way they take you down is inflicting Co-dependence on you.

When you live with someone who is unreliable, lets you down, swings from happy to rageful, can threaten to hit/hurt you or does hit and hurt you, makes you feel as if the other shoe will fall at any time--- gives you Co-dependence.

The fallout with living with all this dysfunction and insecurity is co-dependence. What are the symptoms: inability to trust, depression, anxiety, phobias, fear, unexplained anger and relationship failures. Relationships fail because, even though you swear you will never marry someone like the alcoholic, in fact that is just what happens. Why? It's what you know.

Best.

Sheila
post replypost new topic