post replypost new topic
Unusual Idea

Posted: April 4, 2013, 4:27 PM
Hello everyone,

- Before I explain my new idea on a healthy recovery method, I have to mention that if I didn't use it, I know for a fact that I would become addicted to drugs.
- I have a concept that I think can help with the mental aspect of addiction, as well as the physical part. First off, I am not an addict of anything. However, I have Aspergers Syndrome, which uncontrollably forces myself to participate heavily in my fantasy world. Instead of abusing drugs, I fore play my role in my fantasy world,which helps myself escape from the real world and engage in different worlds or stories that I'm interested in. Here is a perfect scenario; say your parents abuse or neglect you, and your thinking about taking an illegal substance that will eventually kill every aspect mentally and physically. Well, why not try a healthier method that provides very similar mental results. Although, the healthier method doesn't help the physical approach like drugs, but trust me, as long as your fully committed at that moment mentally in your fantasy world, you physically feel much better because you can make the farce world physically real to your own extent. Now, here is an example of myself using the phony world to my advantage:
I am feeling useless today because all of my friends think my ideas make no sense, thus, they laughed and called me incompetent. Now, after that encounter, I escaped into my own world and developed a similar situation with my own fantasy friends. With my fantasy amigos, I imagined myself pulling up ideas in which they loved and admired. I would even add interesting twists specifically to my liking, like making the fantasy situation funny, witty, or unexpectedly adventurous.
So, instead of abusing drugs to venture into that wonderful world where then your feelings are numb or meeting to your expectations, why not explore heavily in your own fantasy land? There, you have escaped from all of your real problems or feelings, therefore, you are now in a different world in which you are in control of your emotions and everyone else. You can be the person who you truly want to be, along with commanding other people.
- I just want to also indicate that the easiest way for me to concentrate on my fantasy stories is to put on music while I'm in it so the music can be the theme song. To me, music makes my fantasy more lively and realistic. Say if you feel like creating a romantic story, then put on your favorite romance song.
- Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and please let me know if this method works or not.

This post has been edited by helpontheway on April 4, 2013, 7:43 PM

Posted: April 14, 2013, 2:56 AM
They call that dissociation. I have dissociation identity disorder, formally known as multiple identity disorder. I was sexually physically and mentally abused from the age of 9 months by my father and his friends. Even his psychologist. It's an interesting theory, and although dissociating from reality helped me cope with life for a long time, I eventually ended up dependent on codiene. Although that was an accident. One of my alters is suicidal and self distructive, and started taking 70 nurophen + a day to see if it would hurt her body, she didn't know it was addictive. It's a very interesting theory, but I think for those unfamiliar to the concept it would take a lot of time and practice to be able to dissociate.

Posted: April 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
- May I ask your current age? The reason I'm asking is because I am 20 years old, and I feel that i've had rarely any experience for it's long term effects. However, you have to figure that each person's mind operates at it's own pace. Maybe some people can grasp the concept faster. I don't know. This idea popped into my head without ever talking to anyone else about disassociation. You are actually the first person i've ever talked to about it. Plus, it's possible that if you dedicate yourself with the help of confidence and patience, then you might be able to achieve your epiphany while applying the theory so you won't have to resort to drugs. If you think about all of the other recovery programs and steps, they require full on dedication and time that can only be useful to your own benefit if your motivated to your ultimate goal.
- It is also possible that the theory can be applied to patients while in addiction recovery facilities. For instance, patients can practice achieving disassociation everyday by the help of their therapists.
- I thank you dearly for your feedback. I love how our stories relate. It's amazing that i've learned so much just by talking to another person about disassociation. I've never even heard of the term before.

This post has been edited by helpontheway on April 15, 2013, 4:11 PM

Posted: May 6, 2013, 10:01 AM
So I talked to my psychologist and she said that I am not disassociating myself, i'm just obsessed about other stories that force me to think out of the box

Like I said everyone, I would love responses so that I can learn for myself and that others can possibly benefit as well.

Posted: May 6, 2013, 4:30 PM
Oh and by the way, the guest replier from the previous post was me. I forgot to sign in when I posted.

Posted: May 12, 2013, 5:05 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I'm turning 30 this year. As I dissociate most days, it's difficult for me to imagine using it to go off opioids. The problem I suppose in my case is that seeing as I have other alters when I dissociate another alter will automatically switch into the body, so even if I'm not feeling withdrawals, they are. I think perhaps if it was practiced by someone without D.I.D then it could possibly work, but they can't stay in a dissociated state forever, therefore would have to face the withdrawals at some stage. It would be beat practiced on those who were tempted to start drugs, or those who have been clean for quite some time.

Posted: June 26, 2013, 3:42 PM
The way I look at the fantasy world method is kind of like meditating through the concept of Buddhism. In order to meditate properly, you have to think of nothing, you can't even think about breathing. You just let the air flow in and out of your body. If the practice is done in the right manner, then you'll feel refreshed from the troubles that are bothering you. So, the concept of meditating through the Buddhist perspective is similar with the method of entering your fantasy world because you can feel refreshed after your personal story ends. Also, as mentioned, participating in your fantasy world to the extent that you physically feel like your there takes time, as well as meditation taking time to be used properly. Most people don't meditate the right way at first because it's hard to not think of anything at all. However, I think the concept of listening to music and entering your own fantasy is easier to perform because your imagining your own personal story. You can create literally any type of story. You could even develop a scary story that relates to your issue, and at the end of the horror, you could include a happy ending that puts a closing to your issue. With that said, you can feel much better and refreshed after your creation is finished. A reason for that is because you physically feel like your taking care of the problem.
Another benefit that I want to add from creating your personal fantasy is you could also use this method for preparation of taking care of an issue or preparing for any task. For instance, say a person is going on a first date, and he's really nervous. What the person can do using the fantasy method is to play or replay the whole date to his liking beforehand. Therefore, the person can play out on the actual date what he thought of in his fantasy creation to help him get through the date to his liking. To conclude this, a lot of drug addicts abuse substances before a task or before addressing an issue. So instead, why not try using the preparation method as explained in this paragraph?
post replypost new topic