next >  post replypost new topic
Found Out I'm Adopted At 50

Posted: September 1, 2011, 7:22 PM
this will be a new attempt for me,so please bear with me. Growing up I had a feeling I might be adopted but could never find proof to support it. EVERYONE I had ever mentioned it to had real good feedback as to why it wasn't so ect. At about 15 I asked my mom some questions about names I had called people (adults) in my life.She told me but I could see that it upset her and she called an old friend of hers and I heard her telling her "shes asking me QUESTIONS!"That is my first memory of thinking that some of the answers I had been given to the questions I had asked didn't add up. Anyway ,over the years the subject would come up,by me,and my realatives were anything but helpful. My mothers younger sister was pregnant at the same time my mom would of been carrying me. I was born in June 1953 and cuz was born in August. HELLOOOO. Isnt that kinda neat to have 2 sisters PG at the same time and give birth so close together? YA'd think so. but whenever I asked about it everyone left the room. I tried to get some history about how my parents met...thinking maybe they had a romantic story to tell,but NNNOOOOO. What I did get was this story which I'm sure was made to get me to stop asking questions. Here it is. My mom and dad were married for about 10 years and they tried all that time to have children. They finally decided on adoption. According to my mother,they waited 3 years and were finally called and were told they had a baby for them. They were then asked if anything had changed since putting in their request for a child. My mother said yes it had, she was pregnant with me.Then there is the story of the child she lost,in stillbirth,somewhere in between my birth and my sister who was born in 1956.(One aunt didnt remember if it was a boy or a girl. Don't they bury babies? where is her grave or urn or whatever,no one knows.)
Well, that made a lot of sense to me,after all what do I know about adoptions and how things are done back in the 50's. And therein lies the key to most of the answers I received to many of my questions. Oh come on, thats how they did things in the 50's.
My mother did an unbelievable job of keeping a record of all the things I did growing up,as did my father and his wife.My parents were headed for divorce when my mom got preg with my sister so they stayed together until she was born and then divorced by the time I was 3. The first 6-8 pictures in my baby book is an old car and someone who looks like a nurse in the driveway of my parents house. My father is holding me, and this is where I really had trouble, my mom is taking the pictures of what I now know was of my arrival into their lives less than a week after my birth. The first thing my father did was to "show" me to the 5 adult Irish Setters they had. I never even made it into the house.(and they wondered for years why I spent nearly 30 years working in the animal field as an adult) Once they are in the house ,there sitting on the couch is my mother,dressed to the nines,not a hair out of place,holding this newly arrived infant! When I brought that up to anyone,family or friend,their explanation was,well look at your father,thats the way he was and ,my favorite, it was the 50's after all. I dont care what century you are in,new moms are not put together that well within a few days of giving birth. Am I wrong??
Well, the years went by and I was getting ready to go on a cruise to Alaska. All I have ever had is a photocopy of my birth cert.,and all of a sudden I can't find it. We were close to the cruise so I went to the county where I was said to have been born and applied for 2 copies of it went home and waited. When my papers from court arrived,imagine my horror to read, we don't have you in our files or something like that. My dad came to my rescue with another photocopy and I guess for the first time in my life I noticed I had a state file number in the top left corner of my birth cert! I looked at my husbands, he didn't have one!!! I thought, huuummmmmm. So I called someone,somewhere and asked why I would have a state file number and she said,"the only reason why is, you either legally had a name change, you are adopted and something else,I don't even remember what she said,because NOW I KNEW!!!!
I wasn't imagining things,my gut was right. I attended a cousins funeral and my best friend was catering it. Along with my sister,(My mom had since passed away) most of my aunts and cousins were there as well. All the way there I kept thinking,all these years you thought I was imagining things and making up things that weren't there,well do I have news for you. After I had been there a while I had my sis and best friend in the kitchen so I blurted out "I have a state file number!" Expecting to finally WOW them with my newfound proof.No on says a word sis is looking at friend and friend is looking back at sis and friend is starting to cry. She finally bursts out with " I thought you knew!! All the kids in the neighborhood knew,we were told not to talk about it".
One at a time my aunts came in and we all were cring and they were telling how they thought it was wrong my parents had'nt told me. In fact the cousin born within months of me didn't know either! Now I'm the "un"cousin,only in joking of course. My sister also knew but only by accident.When my mom passed away she was calling moms friends to tell them and one elderly friend asked my sister which child was calling, the natural one or the adopted one? Needless to say,sis was shocked. She later confronted my father who told her in no uncertain terms that she had best not tell me or there'd be hell to pay and she didn't until that day.
I was relieved to find that I finally knew but wasnt sure what to do next. there were some laws to be passed to help me but they didnt go into effect for about 18 mos. Oddly enough
a new counselor at my methadone clinic,who was adopted her own self and another staff member,(who had given up a child at birth and recently found him)gave me the addresses I needed and before long I had my own "non-identifing" info in my hand. I had 2 older sisters,5 and 4 and a brother who has cerebral palsy,which was why they gave me up,another sisbling that died while in the care of a housekeeper,no other info on that, and it seems she gave birth to another child right before me and that was why everyone involved thought she was in too fragile a state to properly care for me.They had been marriedabout 7 years, she was 25 when I was born and my father was 42. He had been married before and had 2 boys,11 and 13. Regarding the adoption it says "they were harshly critized by their neighbors". While I was awaiting word from social services, I had envisioned that my parents were probably young teenagers that got into trouble and had to give me up. Imagine my surprise to find they had been married a while. Another thing I found out that still blows me away,I was raised thinking I was of mixed nationalities of sorts. Turns out I am 100% Irish.
My father died in 2006 never knowing that I knew. He had his reasons,maybe they meant to tell me at some point it just got harder as the years went by. But knowing my father, I was his child and that was that,blood didn't matter. He was 35 when I was born and already had done well for himself ,'he could of retired before I was born. He didn't and continued to work almost until the day he died.He was avery opinionated person and could be very difficult at times but he taught me a lot of good stuff.
Even though I found out I was adopted a few years ago I haven't decided whether or not I should try to find my biological family. I watch Troy Dunn, the Locater and other shows about finding loved ones and cry wondering if I should do it or not. Everyone says I should. My father would be gone by now,he was born in1911. But mom and siblings could still be around. I have no medical history either.I'm also aware that some reunions don't go as planned. To be honest I'll bet my sisters don't even know I exist. To lose one child and then have another one so soon after ,9-10 mos,4 and 5 year olds can't keep up and after all,it was the 50's.
any advice or similiar circumstances???
Thanks much, Granny2 3

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: September 3, 2011, 2:21 PM
I appreciate the ones who read my story,I guess what I am looking for is for advice on whether or not I should try to find my biological family. I don't not love my adopted ones,they are all I've known my whole life. But I guess I'm afaid to "open the can of worms"as it were. When I got my non-identifying info from social service I signed a paper giving them permission to contact me if any of my family members were looking for me. It's been 7-8 years and not a word. And of course my head runs with all the different scenarios,mom died before she told the kids,she hasn't told them at all, she doesn't want to disrupt MY life, the list goes on. I guess I'm just plain scared. Fortuneately,I was clean for years when I found out or who knows what could of happened. Most everyone I've talked to says I should and maybe something one of you might say may hit me and send me in the right direction and finally give me the strength I need to make that first move.
Thanks much, Granny2 3

--------------------

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: September 7, 2011, 1:08 AM
Wow....i wish i knew too....i would love to know if i have brothers or sisters....i never thought to look at the birth cert i have...mine too was not available when i needed it at one time...i have a copy...and my father told me growing up since i was about 5, he wasn't my father...my mother says she'll take her secrets to the grave...thanks mom...so your story hit home to me in a big way...im 50 years old too...and i would love to know the truth...im so so glad u got to know ...congrats !!!

con

This post has been edited by constantine on September 7, 2011, 1:08 AM

Posted: September 7, 2011, 9:07 AM
when my dad was 70. i found a living sister, she was 80, she knew nothing of him..the other 2 siblings had already died, at first she thought it was a scam (prominent family and she was widowed) but after they met it was so obvious they were siblings.. SAME EYES, SAME gestures, quite eerie, one huge family reunion and then a year that they grew to know each other before she passed, it was a wonderful time for them. i have no urge to prolong contact with the extended family, but i got to meet them..it was a completion of something missing for him, even at 70 and 80 years old

Posted: September 7, 2011, 6:32 PM
Holy Cow Constantine!! It's a small world ain't it?? LOOK AT YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE!! It is an obvious number and says State File # so and so. At least mine does. If you were born in the U.S. yours should too. Don't have a clue about overseas. I wrote to Social Services and they sent me "non-identifying Information" such as race, hair color, height, what work field their parents were in, how old they were when I was born,ect. Nothing that could give away who they are or where they live. I went from being the "oldest" of 3 children in my adoptive family,to the youngest born in my biological one. Two older sisters,a brother with cerebral palsy,a brother who died as an infant not long before I was born and 2 older stepbrothers !!! That was alot for me to comprehend. If my mom was 25 when I was born,she would be about 83 years old by now. As I had'nt been brave enough to search before maybe I should soon. My father was born in 1911,and was 42 when I arrived so I think I missed that boat already.

Thanks loads for the responses,I'll let you know if and when I do anything. I'm really scared to take that first step,but it would be too cool to find out why I look like I do and most of all?? Whose nose do I have,or do we all have it?? Hahahahahah

Granny2 3

--------------------

Posted: September 8, 2011, 8:45 AM
Im looking for it...I literally tore the house up yesterday trying to find the damn thing...when we moved everything got scrambled...Ive got a big sticky note taped to the fridge...I will let u know...GOD...u have no idea ...I practically jumped up from the computer and knocked the table over ..lol

This post has been edited by constantine on September 8, 2011, 8:45 AM

Posted: September 10, 2011, 6:52 PM

Hi, Constantine,
I know you're felling like s**t from your detox so I am assuming this isn't top priority regarding finding your birth certificate. Will be interesting to see what it says. No rush, just curious too.

Granny

--------------------

Posted: February 28, 2012, 5:50 PM
Hi , Im a grandma 7 times almost my daughter is carrying the 7th right now. But I love my Kids and grandkids. I lost my father at the age of 5. I looked for him forever and his love.
Never found it . At the age of 40 I realized that I needed to forgive and go on with my life.
I still try to look for him in my emotional loss of hugs,kisses and goodjob well done feeling I guess. But I have been living well. I miss people that have died and meant alot to me. My thought on finding your real family would be yes that void of not knowing and emptyness of who borne you would be crushing your insides. It probably be hard and a emotional roller coaster but most people like roller coaster rides. Oh yes I believe in God and a purpose and aplan for our lives. Mine has been a roller coaster ride for along time. But I trust in God no matter what it intales alot the Bible and life as we know it. His thoughts are not our thoughts.
But I care. Kat

Posted: March 2, 2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks Kat1 for your response.
It has been so long since I wrote the first time. I have had so many things going on in my life the past few years all the "finding the family" stuff got put on the back burner. And now my life is changing again and it will have to wait a little longer. Hell, maybe I'll never do it....I just dont know.....but I might.....

--------------------

Posted: September 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
Well,
I have at long last actively started looking for my Biological mom and siblings. I have a search angel looking at ancestry.com, I think and other sites and we have been emailed back and forth for a few days. Most sites are free to a certain extent but to get to the real nitty gritty you have to pay a nominal fee.
It is absolutely amazing how many people born in my state,born in the same month and year are looking for family!!!!
My search angel is much more knowledgeable about where to look than I am. I also contacted Troy Dunn, the Locater. I'll have to wait to see where this journey takes me.And to say I'm a little scared is an understatement.

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on September 20, 2012, 12:01 AM

--------------------

Posted: September 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
holy Crap!! This is unbelievable.
I am spending HOURS on this computer and am no closer to finding any of my biological family. It looks and sounds so easy, but trust me.so far it is not.
I even have a wonderful search angel,using all the resources she has at her fingertips and she even emailed me the other day and said this was the hardest California search she has ever done.
Great..like I wanted to hear that. I do so appreciate what she is doing to help me.
I guess I've waited 50+ yrs, a few more wont hurt.

--------------------

Posted: October 5, 2012, 11:55 AM
Well,its Oct 5th and not much going on with my adoption thing. I did send the necessary paperwork to the court where my adoption was finalized (in Jan1954) asking for a intermediary to locate any of my siblings to see if they will sign a waiver. If they are interested in meeting me we both have to have signed these forms. I signed mine in 2007. If they do then they can release certain personal information so we can communicate with each other.So once again its a wait and see thing.
As far as my search angels search, she has come up empty handed so far.I guess I was hoping that if someone who had access to all the right info it wouldnt be too hard. Guess I was wrong....

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on October 5, 2012, 11:56 AM

--------------------

Posted: December 26, 2012, 6:44 PM
I think I am finally ready to see what ,if anything,is available to me regarding siblings.

After trying to find something,anything, I joined a couple adoption sites. ISSR is the biggest,oldest site. It is the International Soundex Reunion Registry. I also have had a search angel looking for anything on my adoption going by thru information in my adoption file of "non-identifying information" written by my biological parents.

She says in all the years she has been doing this that mine has been the most difficult California search she has ever done. So far we, she have found absolutly nothing to go on.

So...the first week of Nov, I sent a request to the court that oversaw my adoption in 1953,filled out a couple forms, asking for the judge to appoint a confidential mediator. by mid Dec the judge has already signed and authorized my request and the letter is headed for Sacramento to social services who handled my adoption 59.5 years ago. They will try to locate any family members( I had 3 biological siblings when I was born,plus 2 half brothers) and see if they are interested in meeting me.

So.... that's where it is right now. I am waiting to see what,if anything they find. I am scared and a little nervous, but I've waited all these years,whats another month or two or?

--------------------

Posted: January 14, 2013, 12:12 AM
wELL, WE ARE 1/2 WAY THRU THE MONTH OF jANUARY OF 2013 AND I HAVE NOT HEARD A THING FROM SOCIAL SERVICES ABOUT MY BIOLOGICAL FAMILY. I HAVENT HEARD FROM MY SEARCH ANGEL EITHER, SO IS NO NEWS GOOD NEWS?? iN THIS CASE i DONT THINK SO.
If social services doesnt/cant find them I will be no worse off than I have been my whole life.

I have a family, the one I got when my parents adopted me and I wouldnt change them for anything, but on the other hand I still want to look someone in the eye that has the same blood running thru their veins and know more about where I came from.
I already know why my biological parents gave me up...to provide better care for my brother who has cerebral palsy .

So I am crossing my fingers.

--------------------

Posted: January 16, 2013, 7:02 PM
Hi Granny, wow what a strory! There sure are many different ways people were/are informed regarding the whole adoption saga! So sad our society thinks keeping secrets are the "better" choice regarding these very traumatic, and emotional decisions in our families. I was adopted, and they told my parents not to tell me also, I will NEVER understand this protocol. The truth will always be told, it seems. Noone can keep that kind of secret! I was told when I was around 5, and my parents were very supportive of me and my future search, when I turned 18. I will tell you it was a very long road for me. I first got my non ID which really only told me about siblings I never knew about, that was cool. My friends hired a searcher for me for my 25th bday, that took way longer than planned, but I did get names from them. My birthfather had died just 3 months prior to me contacting him. I was reuinited with his children, my two half bros and sis. That was AWESOME :) I still had very limited info on my bmom, just her last name of Cash, and that she was a RN from Missouri. I searched for years on the computer, obsessing totally!!! Got me nowhere. After having my youngest daughter, and almost 40, I could not take it anymore!! I found another searcher, she found my birthmom in a day, of course. The sad part is she is not ready to reveal her secret, her two sons she had after me, have no idea. It really breaks my heart, I can't imagine living like that. I was her second she had given up, she had a son 2 years before me. There are just so many different feelings that I have surrounding all of this. I gave up my first son for adoption, it was open, and we have been reunited since he turned 11, he is now 25. That story has pain involved also, but at least we all know, and love each other :) I understand the rollercoaster you must be on, it actually seems to never end. Good Luck with your search Granny, I know how difficult and frustrating it is, but for some of us there is no rest until there are answers!

Posted: February 2, 2013, 10:54 PM
I am beginning to think this whole find my biological mom and 5 siblings was not meant to be.

I called Soc services in Sacramento last week and the gal who handles finding families said she does not have my papers that were supposedly sent from the Los Angeles Childrens Court to her. So we called the court again, and they were supposed to have resent them to her to again try and find my family.
I think I will call her on Monday and see if she got them. I was told the judge had signed the necessary forms and they were filed in the court, I have copies of that. Why they got lost I have no clue.
I just saw that in Sept 2011 I was still not ready to try and find them ,yet in Sept 2012 I had made up my mind to finally do this.
I fear I have already missed my father, like the one gal said, 3 mos before she found him he had passed away. If my father was 42 when I was born he would be 101 last year so unless I have very old living relatives I am sure I am too late. But my mom was 25, so she would be like 85 now.

Just the difficulty in my search angels search makes me wonder whats going on. She has been doing searches like this for years and years and yet she has about given up on mine because she keeps running into brick walls. Like I said she said this is the hardest California search she has ever done. If I was born, and adopted in LA county was was my birth certificate located in Orange County??

Weird if you ask me.
I will let you know.........

--------------------

Posted: February 5, 2013, 11:09 AM
I was adopted out of Los Angeles also! LA Bureau of Adoptions. It took about a year for them to send me my non ID. Once I received that, I scheduled an appointment with the social worker. The hope was that she would give me more info, like some names. Well that didn't work out as planned. She did leave me alone in her office with my records right there, I jumped up and looked in them, and saw the same papers that were sent to me. It is a VERY frustrating process, but I really want to encourage your search. Never give up, because it will ALWAYS be there, the desire to KNOW!!!

Posted: February 5, 2013, 10:37 PM
hi hapiholly,
you mentioned no one can keep a secret for that long... My entire family knew I was adopted and said nothing because that is the way my dad wanted it. They didnt even know they were doing an adoption! One day there was no baby then there was,they were all surprised. My moms younger sister was pregnant with my cousin at the same time, I was born in June,he was born in Aug.Ya gotta remember this was the early 1950's....
I did not know for absolute sure until I was like 50 and I got my non ID in April 2007, I was 54 yrs old.
My aunt told me they came down (or were invited to ?)to my parents house and there on the bed was a newborn. ME. Surprise,surprise...

Thanks for the words of courage. I am waiting to hear back from Social services about whether they have located anyone biologically related to me...mom, or siblings. I will definately write about it if it happens. Cross your fingers.

granny

--------------------

Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:14 PM
Well, I got some news the other day about my adopted family.
I had petioned the court to have an intermediary find my siblings. In May this year she found my 3 siblings,all older, 2 sisters and a brother and sent letters to them telling them I wanted contact.
In june, she heard from 2 of them.Oddly enough, My brother called first. He was 4 when I was born and the reason I was given up for adoption. He has cerebral palsy and keeping me would have put a financial burden on the family because of his medical bills. (also a baby brother,9mos, died within a few months of my birth and caring for another newborn so soon after the loss was hard for my mother)
Then one of my sisters called, they were 3 and 5 when I was born. She told my worker and she told me that she told her "they had lived a very hard life and there was nothing good about it she felt she could share with me."
They were going to discuss it amongst themselves and get back to her. That was the end of June this year and as of a few days ago she has not heard from them. So all I can do is wait and see if they want to see me or not.
50 years of not knowing and now this. Its all in their hands,but I did find it interesting that my brother was the first sibling to call Social Services. I dont even know if my mother is still living. I know my father is not, he was 42 when I was born.
So.. like I have done since I started this journey, I wait.

--------------------

Posted: September 20, 2013, 7:54 AM
Granny that is good news. I am sorry it has to be like that with the social workers and all. I wonder why they won't meet with you. My heart goes out to you cause it would really hurt my feelings if i was in your shoes. But you seem like to take it with a grain of salt and that's awesome! Keep your head up and believe that the work you do is amazing and you heart is gold! You have my love and prayers so have a blessed day (((HUGS))) You are very special:)
post replypost new topic