post replypost new topic
What Now?

Posted: June 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
Everything I've searched for in addiction and recovery has this god thing associated with it in some way. I believe in the divine but can't stand organized religion. I will get there on my own, just gotta get rid of gambling, alcohol, and nicotine or is that ME problems? As in lack of self-discipline and self-esteem? Smart enough to know I'm not balanced and just don't know how to get back to me. That sweet, smart, loving person who loves herself and MOST animals(excluding snakes and humans), is lost and no road makes sense.

Posted: June 27, 2007, 9:36 AM
Bobbi, you may want to re post this on the pain pill board, it is far more active.

I know more atheist that belong to recovery groups than not. God is a personal belief and you do not have to believe to attend meetings, be it AA/NA or smart recovery or any program. Some clearly are faith based, but you do not have to attend those.

I do have a hard time with people saying, ' your higher power can be a doorknob, the dumbest thing I have ever heard, but that is just me.
For me my HP is GOD plain and simple, I do not worship to objects.

Having said that, those that do not believe in anything find strength within the recovery groups themselves. Like I said most people I know personally that attend meetings don't even believe in a Higher Power, you take what you need and leave the rest. People do not sit around and bible thump.

It is just people need something to believe in, hence their religion or spirituality.

And like I said, there are those that do not believe in anything and they have gotten clean either by going to AA or one on one, support groups, etc.

On the home page of this board there are a ton of recovery programs listed under Treatment Options, check it out.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com

Posted: March 1, 2011, 4:03 AM
I a a clean and sober atheist. I attend AA, sometimes NA. I am part of an agnostic online aa-freethinkers.org meeting and Toronto where I live is one of dozens of cities that has "god-free" meetings for doubters, skeptics, atheists, what ever we want or don't want to label ourselves.

“He argued strongly with the early group in New York that it needed to tone down what he called the ‘God bit.’ This resulted in the much more inclusive ‘Higher Power’ and ‘God as we understand him’ concepts that are now so closely associated with Alcoholics Anonymous. This compromise was crucial—without it, AA would probably not have survived at all, much less have reached the number of people it has worldwide today. Jim B.'s contribution to Alcoholics Anonymous is considered second only to that of AA's two co-founders.” wikipedia.org

This is of course referring to the story and impact of James Burnwell (1898 – 1974), Jim B, author of “A Vicious Cycle” in the Big Book. Bill, in writing about the origins of Tradition 3, “The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking,” called Jim “Ed,” out of respect for his anonymity credits Jim as being one of many weighty issues in eliminating the “rules for membership” that many groups had penned in the name of protecting AA and the members. Jim was instrumental in the Jack Alexander article going to print, which transformed AAs membership and reputation. He started the first meetings in two more cities in the USA. He was a pioneer who didn’t believe in a deity or universe that heard or answered prayers and his contributions are as significant as Dr. Bob, who despite devout faith was not spared the urge to drink from several years into his sobriety.
People don’t have to agree to get along. We may know members whose opinions and practices differ greatly from ours. They may or may not get under our skin; that’s up to us. Everyone’s contribution is important in a fellowship. There’s room for everyone.

post replypost new topic