post replypost new topic
Group Therapy

Posted: February 6, 2005, 7:11 PM
Group therapy entails sharing our beliefs, feelings, and experiences openly with other members in setting that promotes our ability to cope with the issues that contributed to and splintered from our substance abuse. We must be willing not only to listen with empathy, but also to speak with candor in order to establish long-term strategies for coping with our underlying psychological issues -- many of which our substance abuse had been masking or distorting.
Much of what we draw from group therapy derives from what we are willing to bring to it. Effective group therapy requires members share and evaluate their beliefs through 'grinding,' an interactive process by which our blind spots are revealed to us from the perspective of other members. Fears of ridicule must not be allowed to inhibit critical discussion that challenges misguided beliefs, to the extent they are detrimental to our adaptive behavior.
Though unquestionably conducive -- if not integral -- to our recovery, progress, and stability, group therapy requires our setting realistic goals while tempering our expectations. To do so, we must bear in mind that substance abuse itself cannot be cured outright. In this respect, it might help us to think of abstinence as a path rather than a destination, lest relapse -- when followed by our immediate resumption of group therapy -- be equated with failure.
tucson

Posted: June 9, 2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks Cory on your definition of group tharapy
I have had struggles with trust issues in groups....
I'am looking for help,with one on one therapy, that wants to know what maks me tick.

This post has been edited by moderator on June 9, 2014, 1:13 PM
post replypost new topic